jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is my Hub too long?

1. Cardia profile image89
    Cardiaposted 4 years ago

I wrote a review of the latest music album by Coldplay, and I just published it. However, I'm wondering if it is too long. I cut out a lot of unnecessary pieces but it's still well over 1,300 words.
    I don't think I can put the link here (last time I did it got snipped) but it would be on my profile, and it would be named "Album Review: Mylo Xyloto by Coldplay".

Thank you!

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

Actually, your link shouldn't be snipped while you are in the Extreme Hub Makeover forum thread. If it gets snipped, then the moderator doesn't know how to do their job.

And, if a hubber reported it to staff and then it got snipped, then it's the fault of both the hubber and staff, for not realizing that the Extreme Hub Makeover forum thread is exempt to the rules of posting links in the beginning of a thread.

If your hub is over 1300 words, but less than 3500 words, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

3. BlissfulWriter profile image86
    BlissfulWriterposted 4 years ago

There is no real harm in having long hubs.  However, if the Hub is split-able without losing context, then you might want to consider splitting it into two Hubs and linking the one to the other.   That way you get the benefit of having two hubs instead of one.   Try not to have a hub less than 500 words though.

4. Writer Fox profile image80
    Writer Foxposted 4 years ago

Cagsil is right that you should be able to post your link.  I would look at your Hub if I knew which one concerns you.

You'll find many opinions on length of Hubs and I don't think there is any one answer. 

I'm new to this site, but I have had greater success on Google with longer articles (and Hubs) simply because they provide more information and more comprehensive answers to search queries.  Also, I find link building is much easier for longer Hubs. 

There is an old saying about the length that writing should be:  It's like a lady's skirt:  long enough to cover the important and short enough to be interesting.

I suggest that you experiment with the long and the short -  with the topics you are writing about.

One of my Hubs, What is SEO?, has 5,643 words and does very well on Google. 

Another Hub, Quotes about the Internet, has 4,687 words, was published on November 27, and today ranks #1 on Google for UK searches and #4 on Google for USA searches for "Quotes about the Internet" out of 721,000,000 competing webpages.

Yes, these 2 Hubs could easily be split into many Hubs, but I do believe that they would not be as successful on Google if they were split up into small bits of information.

Again, you are going to have many different opinions.

5. greatstuff profile image93
    greatstuffposted 4 years ago

I read somewhere that an article should have at least 1500words to be Google friendly!! So you should be doing OK as long as the article is interesting and keep your reader engaged.