20 Interesting Facts about World War 1
1. World War one was the first War in history to include every major power in the world. The conflict started in the spring of 1914 and lasted almost 4 years into the spring of 1918.
2. The First World War was the first war to ever include multiple country factions where each side was easily matched. The central Powers and the Allies powers both included substantial military might.
3. The Allies included a larger list of participating countries then the Central Powers. They included the major powers of the United States, France, Russia, British, Greece and Even Japan.
4. The Central Powers included Germany, Austria, Turkey and Bulgaria.
5. The first World War was a trigger of an assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his Wife who was also 7 months pregnant at the time.
6. The head of the assassination group was of Serbian decent. The terrorist group called themselves the Black Hat. The person reasonable for the shot was named Gavrilo.
7. There were many different political, military, and industrial reasons for world War I. The final straw was the assassination of the Arch Bishop. However, many other countries were facing multiple crises from territory disputes, political nightmares, and against newer occupations of major powers.
8. One of mans most deadly weapons was first deployed in the wake of World War One. It was the first time mustard gas was used against another brother in humanity.
9. The US as in World War 2 took a stand on neutrality and did not enter the war when it first broke out. It was not until it was first attacked by the sinking of the Lusitania in 1915 did they official enter the war.
10. The world war brought in the larges mobilization of military personal in the history of the world up until that point. It was estimated that a total of over 68 million troops entered into the conflict.
11. World War one saw the largest amount of troops perish in a conflict, in world history. Over 8 million troops died as a result of the bloody war.
12. The largest loss of human life to occur in the war on a single day was when British troops decided to invade Somme. Over 58,000 men died that day.
13. World War one has been known by many names throughout history. The first name of the war was “the War to End all Wars” Or “the Great War”
14. Britain saw the largest of the casualties come as a result of the war there was an estimated 250,000 soldiers that were wounded,as a result. These wounds resulted in the amputation of the many parts.
15. During the course of World War one, it is estimated that France lost the most in civilian casualties. With almost 11 percent of its total population wiped out.
16. When the US entered the war it was almost near the end, it was the US that turned it around for the allies. They only were in battle for 7 and 1.2 months in which out of 500,000 soldiers over 200,000 were wounded and over 100, 000 were killed.
17. The bloodiest battle of the war was the Battle of Verdun. It started in 1916 and did not end for almost 1 year with a result of over 1 million casualties for both sides.
18. The trenches were death graves for those who entered them. Many soldiers were digging their own grave over 200,000 of these men it became a reality.
19. The trenches were also a lethal location for rats, lice, and frogs as a result many men died for not having enough medicine to eat while living in them.
20. The largest reported population of shell shocked soldiers comes from Britain with over 80,000 diagnosed.
More by this Author
Poverty in Brazil is one of the highest in the world lets explore why..
How to build the perfect dog house for your family friend. With all the comforts of home while he is out side to enjoy a new peaceful place your dog can call home
There are some interesting aspects to El Salvadoran culture one such aspect is the traditional dances that they perform.