25 Interesting Facts
Here are 25 interesting facts. I am sure they will add a bit to your knowledge about the things around us.
1) Dragonfly can live for only 24 hours on the average.
2) Elephant is the only mammal that can't jump and thankfully so.
3) Elephants can live up to seventy years.
4) The trunk of an elephant has no bones. About 150,000 muscles and nerves provide it with flexibility.
5) Penguins possess waterproof feathers.
6) Hawksbill turtles got their name from pointed heads that resemble a birds beak.
7) Ostrich is the fastest running two-legged animal in the world.
8) Leatherback sea turtles are the largest turtles and can weigh over 900 kilograms and can grow 7 feet long. The largest leatherback found till date was 8.5 feet long.
9) Kiwi, a bird endemic to New Zealand, doesn't have any wings despite being a bird.
10) Pigeons feed their newborns with pigeon milk. Both male and female pigeons produce this substance known as pigeon milk.
11) A group of toads is also known as a knot of toads.
12) Upon being threatened, the horned toad shoots blood from its eyes.
13) Pandas are considered living fossils. The sago palms and other cycads are also considered living fossils.
14) Seahorses don't look like fish but they are true fish.
15) Elephants have large ears but still their hearing is poor.
16) Hummingbirds can fly backwards and sidewards also.
17) The leatherback sea turtle lays a clutch of 80 eggs which hatch after about two months.
18) African grey parrots are considered best mimics of sounds of all parrot species.
19) Starfish don't have any brain. They also don't have a single drop of blood in their bodies but have two stomachs.
20) seahorses must eat all the time in order to stay alive. This is because the food passes through their digestive system very quickly.
21) Ostrich's egg is the largest egg of all birds but it is the smallest egg in proportion to the size of the bird.
22) The hawksbill turtle has overlapping scales on its shell. These scales reach about 80 cm in length.
23) Hawksbill turtles lay a clutch of about 120 eggs which take about 2 months to hatch.
24) Antarctica is in fact a desert.
25) Toads use their eyeballs to help them swallow their prey.
More by this Author
Growing new plants saves you money and it is fun. It is an amazing experience watching your seeds turning into seedlings and then turning into trees. Here are two main methods of propagating palm trees. You can grow...
There are more insects in one square mile of rural land than there are human beings on the entire earth. The tsetse fly is found only in Africa although there are twenty-two different specie of the tsetse fly. In...
I have collected these random facts from various sources on the internet(like Wikipedia), so they may or may not be true. Now please proceed to reading these interesting random bits. Butterflies cannot fly if their...