Elevator Escalator Safety-Do's And Don'ts
What Would We Ever Do Without Elevators And Escalators
Elevators, escalators,and moving sidewalks are the most efficient mass transit systems in the world. Millions of people across the globe ride in millions of elevators to reach their offices,apartments,super markets,public offices,condos,etc. in high rise buildings everyday. Major airports across the world have a system of escalators and moving sidewalks for easy transit of passengers and baggage.
This hub is an effort to create and increase public awareness which is necessary to highlight the basic guidelines for safety that are to be followed at all costs while using an elevator or escalator. Public apathy sometimes is the cause for accidents that could be prevented. The most at risk are senior citizens and young children. Injuries can be fatal at times. A little care makes for a safe use of these most efficient systems which form an essential part of our everyday life.
Be Safe While Riding The Elevator
The first safety passenger elevator was designed in 1853 by Elisha Graves Otis. There are 2 types of elevators in use - the traction type that is used in buildings with more than 5 floors and the hydraulic kind for use in buildings with 2-5 floors. Researchers have made sure that our ride in elevators are safe and comfortable . But it is our duty to follow the guidelines given to practice safe use with family, pets and friends. Computers are programmed to provide rapid service to control modern elevators.
When you reach the elevator door,push the CALL button only once.Pushing the button repeatedly or pushing both buttons at once slows the service to your floor. When the elevator doors open,make sure you follow the following simple safety rules.
1. Watch your step.The car may not be perfectly aligned to the floor.
2. Exit immediately at your floor as soon as the door opens.Do not wait for those behind you.
3. The DOOR OPEN button can be held by someone within the car to keep the doors open until you alight.
4. Never stop closing elevator doors with your feet,hands,or canes.Wait for the next elevator.
5. In case of a fire in the building,it is wise to use the stairs.Do not use the elevator.
6. Stand clear of the doors.
7. Hold pets,parcels and small children firmly.
8. In case of an elevator stopping between floors,DO NOT PANIC.
a)Push the ALARM button to call for assistance. Alternately,you may use the car’s telephone if provided.
b)Wait for help to arrive. Do not pry the doors open or try to crawl out through the roof of the car.It is dangerous.
c)Take deep breaths and keep your mind off PANIC. Remember that there is enough air circulating.
d)Sit down while you wait.The majority of injuries have occurred when the elevator suddenly begins to move.
e)If the elevator doors have opened between floors,never try to get out,even if somebody wants to assist you.
f)If there is a power failure,wait for the emergency lighting to take over.
g)Extra carefulness is recommended
If you are under medication that makes you drowsy, or affects your vision or mobility, avoid going alone.
If you use a cane,walker or wheelchair.
If you wear bifocals or prescription glasses that you are not used to yet.
Use Escalators Safely
Today,escalators are more common than elevators. The first escalator was designed by Jesse Renno in 1892.Escalator is a power-driven,continuous inclined stairway.This can move 4000-7000 people an hour.It can rise from 4 feet to over a hundred feet.It can skip floors or stop at every floor. Escalator is the most efficient form of vertical transportation available today.
Simple safety rules apply while using escalators as
well. Most accidents occur as a result of FALLING.
Before you get on
- If you are using canes,walkers or wheel chairs,stop and take an elevator instead.
- Do not ride barefoot or with untied shoelaces.
- Make sure you get on to the right escalator going in the direction you want.
- If you are riding with small children,make sure they are held firmly.
- If you are wearing loose or long clothing,hold it carefully.
- If you have packages to hold,hold firmly with one hand as you grasp the handrail with the other.
- Step on and off promptly.
When riding the escalator
- Stand toward the centre of the step and face forward.
- Do not rest your parcels or handbag on the handrail.
- Keep loose/long clothing clear of the sides.
- Be alert.
When alighting the escalator
- Walk off promptly without any hesitation.
- Move away immediately so as to enable those behind you to alight as well.
In case of emergency
Push one of the STOP buttons provided at the top or the bottom landings of the escalator(on the handrail or floorlevel).
An escalator moving while people can walk with their luggage is a moving sidewalk. Safety rules that apply here are the same as those for an escalator.
- If you wish to walk,walk on the left and if you wish to stand as it moves,stand to the right.
- In addition,keep a firm grip on the handrail.
Enjoy a safe ride everyday adhering to these simple guidelines on safety.
Prevention of accidents and injuries is crucial to safety while riding elevators and escalators.
Were You Witness To Any Accident On An Elevator/Escalator?See results without voting
More by this Author
Learn Hindi Online today,fast and easily with resources available online.Use my top tips to speak like a native speaker,before you travel to India,for richer immersive experience of a diverse culture.
God created the heavens and the earth.Then he created the flora and fauna.And then his greatest creation,Man,came into being.To look after and enjoy everything that was around him and to have fellowship with God.The...
I took this picture very early in the morning while the lady of the house was drawing this festive rangoli. The unfinished design shows earthern pots with rice being cooked and sugar canes, which are part of every...