Improve Study Habits By Using a Calendar
Studying may be considered an easy no-brainer task. The first thing that comes to mind is something along the lines of “I have been studying since I was in elementary.” But who has found that studying is not really that easy.
I remember my own days preparing for a test; first making flash cards and going over chapter reviews. But traditional ways of studying have changed. I have noticed that today’s young people are not being taught how to study. Children are being taught how to study by being given a “study guide” completed in class with their teacher.
So I ask myself, if not taught in school then how do you know what is the most efficient way of studying? Especially when children are not taught how to find the information. In a world that puts everything at your fingertips one might ask how will our children be affected in the long run?
Some things about studying revolve around some of the simplest concepts. First off, just do it. Successfully studying can increase test scores and reduce the amount of time spent on studying.
How to Study
- Seven Steps to Study Effectively: How to Improve Gra...
Cut your study time down, and learn material faster, using these seven simple steps. You will see better grades in just weeks!
- Good Student: How To Study and Become A Good Student
A student with moderate ability, who uses his talents in a methodical way to STUDY , will achieve more success than a person with greater ability but who is unmethodical. HOW! Read on rules to follow-
- The Difference Between Studying and Learning: Study ...
Are study skills important for success in school? Is success in school essential for success in life? And where does thinking come into all of this? If you spend too much time thinking about the material but not enough time studying for the test,...
- Tips for Finals Studying and Writing In-Class Essays
Worried about your in-class essay exam? This hub gives tips for studying along with steps for writing during the exam.
- Learn to Cope with Test Anxiety
Are you one of the many that experience test anxiety? Do you feel like it will never get better and you will have to live with it forever? Well there is help
Top 5 Reasons to Make a Study Calendar
- Avoid Extended Study Sessions. Learning and remembering study material occurs easier with small study blocks. A person without underlying concentration issues has an attention span that is approximately one hour in length. So try scheduling one-hour blocks with 10-15 minute breaks between sessions. For those 10-15 minutes do something unrelated. It may consist of sitting outside and enjoying the scenery or taking a quick phone call. Know yourself, take breaks when needed but pay close attention and avoid adding breaks due to distractions.
- Schedule Start and End Times. Setting distinct study times reinforces accountability. Keeping boundaries will aid in staying focused. Also, by putting studying time on the calendar will help in the overall schedule planning to ensure that you have enough time to do what is allocated.
- Be Task Oriented When Studying. Lay out specific objectives such as, "during my English study time, I will outline the first half of my paper." If by chance you meet your goal before the scheduled time either take a break or reward yourself for the hard work. Use past experiences as a guide to how much time you will need when completing set out assignments. The worst thing that could happen is to underestimate the amount of time needed.
- Be Prepared for the Unexpected. Planning helps to avoid unplanned events, however, some things are not totally preventable. Leave enough open time on your calendar to compensate for mishaps. When something unavoidable comes up, look at your calendar as soon as possible and plug in the missed session into an open block of time. Meeting your goals become easier when planned out and organized.
- Change and Adjust When Appropriate. Stay abreast to your needs and how life changes. This will happen frequently – every semester to be exact. So reevaluate your schedule each semester and make appropriate tweaks. Nothing is set in stone; if your schedule is counterproductive, adjust it.
Making A Schedule
These will help organize your life, even when it seems overwhelming and all too busy. By following these suggestions you should find time not only to study but also for self-care such as exercise, sleep, and something fun. You are the ultimate controller of your time. Learning to take control of this aspect of your life can surely contribute to your overall success.
Putting Your Best Foot Forward
Formulate a Schedule. Forget about procrastination, this will only work against you. Things pile up when put off and eventually will become overwhelming, contributing to unnecessary stress. When making the schedule enter in every event you plan on attending. Don’t forget to put in important due dates. The last thing you want to do is forget to turn in an assignment.
Input Fixed Obligations First. What better way to make sure you do not forget an important responsibility then to record it. Areas to make sure and include are things like classes, work, meals, sleep, etc. By recording high priority commitments free time will be exposed. Those will be the areas that you can fill up later on if the need arises. Otherwise, relaxation may be in the forecast.
Make Up Any Borrowed Time. This is down the same lines of reducing distraction. If time was taken from scheduled study time – you must pencil it in somewhere else. Free time is not as important as study time, especially when the test happens to be quickly approaching.
Don’t Forget the Miscellaneous. Schedules include random errands. Everyone has to go grocery shopping or make a doctor’s appointment from time to time, so don’t forget those.
Time For Fun And Exercise. Although taking up the rear, fun and exercise is crucial. Work hard, play hard. All work and no play leads for a very boring life. If you have stayed on task and studied effectively then remember self-care.
Be Realistic. Give yourself enough time to do what you need to do.
Truthfully speaking setting up a schedule that is fulsome will lead you in the right direction. The purpose of a comprehensive and inclusive schedule is to make sure that you have enough time to study and care for yourself. Studying is not always easy but having a plan simplifies it all.
Good luck with studying success.
More by this Author
African American women experienced the fight for equality in a very different way than other women. Not able to participate in the women's movement, African American women fought a different battle.
Can you take accountability for your behavior? Does someone always blame you? How do you know who is at fault when feelings are hurt?
Hair extensions are very popular in the beauty industry. Blended with the classic styling of cornrows, styles become endless.