Ten Ways You Know That You're The Oldest Child In Your Family
We Count On YOU Soooo Much
As the oldest child in your family, your parents and younger siblings counted on you to the extreme degree. You were the responsible one. You had to be always on guard. You were not allowed to be as carefree as your younger siblings. You have to be on guard and exhibited near perfect behavior 24/7. Here are the ten indicators that you are the OLDEST CHILD in your family:
(1) You are always on call from your family 24/7/365. There is no such thing as peace and quiet for you. The telephones are constantly ringing and/or you are being e-mailed constantly! There is a sibling/siblings and/or a parent/parents who needs your supreme guidance. Oh help, we need you-you can get us out of this bind. You figure to yourself, when will they leave me the (*&^! alone! When you shout in utter desolate anguish!
(2) You are the family counsellor. Since you are the oldest, you have a bottomless fount of wisdom. In fact, your family views you as a sage and the go to person. We need your help, how can we get out of this situation. Oh my husband/wife/friend does not understand me, what would do in my situation! I am so new to this! Please help me!
(3) You can handle any difficult situation that comes your way! Oh she/he can handle this after all she/he is the STRONG one of the family. As the oldest, you handle complex and difficult situations from the time you were walking! Why you are whining about this? You are the oldest and this comes with the territory! So MAN/WOMAN up!
(4) You are expected to KNOW better and to be MORE MATURE. There is no time to be spontaneous and wild! Stop acting childish, you are the OLDEST! You are expected to BE AN EXAMPLE. You can never be fun and free! Soooo MUCH is expected from you-so let's get to it! Attention, hup and march 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4- forward, march! Be a MAN/WOMAN!
(5) You are constantly on guard. No time for frivolity! You are being closely W-A-T-C-H-E-D by your parents and siblings alike! You feel as you are in the public eye-albeit negatively. You cannot DARE misbehave! You cannot have relax and just be wacky once in a while!
(6) You often go beyond the call of duty for your younger sibling/siblings and your parents. It is EXPECTED. You doth protest that you are unappreciated for this! You work yourself to the bone and ..................What do you mean no thank you? Yes, you are expected to perform beyond the call of duty. It is your obligation as the OLDEST CHILD! So suck it up!
(7) ME time- Are you kidding? Let's be real? Well, N-O! In other words, how can you be so thoughtless as not to consider your family! How thoughtless and totally inconsiderate can you be! My God, what selfishness! Stop being so S-E-L-F-I-S-H and put on a happy face for us, okay!
(8) When things go wrong, they GO WRONG! When things go wrong, somehow it is YOUR fault especially when it comes to your younger siblings. You are the oldest, you ought to have the most knowledge and know right from wrong! How COULD you? How COULD you?
(9) You are expected to take care of an elder parents just because....... As the oldest child, this is an unwritten and unspoken expectation. You are either expected to care for the parents either physically and/or financially. No excuses. If you do not fully take care of them, you are often assigned most of the responsibilities in that regard!
(10) Hell, use your power! As the OLDEST CHILD, you can lord it over your younger siblings! Well, why not. Might= power=right! Go on use your status! Don't be afraid!
Now, here is my take on the ten things that indicate that you are the oldest child in your family! Your birth order is often the most difficult and unappreciated. However, it has its glorious moments! Hail to the oldest child in the family, I totally feel for you!
© 2011 Grace Marguerite Williams
More by this Author
.Oldest & only children are both firstborns. Firstborns are known to be authoritative, responsible and..........uncompromising. These two birth orders are ALPHA in MORE WAYS than one................
The opposite coin to the favorite child is the unfavored child. Many parents are quite loathe to admit this although they do this. Unfavored children feel like outsiders in their families.
Sheltered children do not possess the necessary life and survival skills. As adults, they are quite vulnerable. They are risk averse, poor decision makers, and have poor judgement skills.