The Horrors of Human Trafficking
Me, at a California Against Slavery outreach event
Here's a Spotlight on a Key issue
Human Trafficking. Listen to these two words: Human (Aren't you?), Trafficking (As in Movement, moving, transporting). Darn aweful when you break it down and should bring a "Downright" sourness to your mouth and throat. As it does mine.
Our Country needs to unite and cease all actions that encourage Human Trafficking. My specific purpose statement for creating this Hub on the topic about the Horrors of Human Trafficking is to "Put a Spotlight on this Hot Topic," which is happening in dramatic numbers as I type this. This is the equivalent of modern-day Slavery. Now, imagine that your son or daughter has left home (which is in Wisconsin), and is returning to their college in California. This is just as the Christmas season is ending and after the week long visit they had with the family. Next, imagine that your phone rings at 2 a.m. on a Tuesday and you pick up the phone, only to be hearing the voice of a FBI Agent who is telling you that your child has been kidnapped and thrown into Slave labor. This is one of the numerous forms of Human Trafficking.
Human Trafficking is currently the fastest growing criminal activity in the world and it happens everywhere-including Orange County, California. As an advocate and member of California Against Slavery (CAS), I am honored to be able to speak out, provide presentations and bring awareness to the atrocity surrounding this horrendous crime against humanity. You should educate yourself on what Human Trafficking is, in order to be sharp with your awareness of what to look out for, as a sure-fire-way to become proactive and knowledgeable for you, your family and your community as a whole.
Definition of Human Trafficking
I. According to the United States Department of Health and Human Services, drug dealing is the largest criminal activity, while Human Trafficking and Illegal Arms are "tied" for second place in criminal activity. California Slavery defined is: Human Trafficking is a criminal business that profits from enslaving people for sexual servitude and forced labor.
II. Definition of the United States Trafficking Victim Protection Act of 2000:
1. Sex trafficking is in which a commercial act is induced by force, fraud, or coercion, or in which the person induced to perform such an act has not attained 18 years of age; or (CaliforniaAgainstSlavery.org)
2. The recruitment, harbouring, transportation provision, or obtaining of a person for labor or services, through the use of force, fraud, or coercion for the purpose of subjection to involuntary sertitude, peonage, debt bondage, or slavery (CaliforniaAgainstSlavery.org).
The abduction, abuse, rape and victimization of these women, children and men are often overlooked in our society as we mislabel these women, children and men as "prostitutes" or "hoes." Pimps and pedophiles/rapists ("johns") enjoy reign over them almost unchecked.
*Take a Second Look if You See Someone:
- Who appears controlled by someone else
- Who is unable to speak on their own behalf
- Who lacks influence over their personal schedule, money, I. D. and/or documents
- Who works & lives in the same place, with limited or restricted movement
- Who has debt owed to their employer or "owner," & an inability to leave their job
- Who displays signs of depression, fear, submission, physical injury, and/or branding. (OC Human Trafficking)
Are you proactive in your community and/or with a Human Rights cause?See results without voting
Referencing cited info
More by this Author
We all do it. We all get stuck sometimes. Thinking. It does us absolutely no good to "Shutdown," in the middle a situation. Take the time to enhance your thinking skills: Critical and Ethical thinking.
Going through life can be rough at times. But I decided to not let that determine the way I moved through life.