Best Places for High Demand Teaching Jobs
Cuts and Increases in Teaching Jobs 2010- 2014
A recent Hub Question came in from an individual in his early 50's that was experiencing difficulty in securing a teaching job, even though a Master's degree in teaching was in this job-seeker's portfolio.
This Master's degree is an advantage, because many US States are requiring their teachers to possess Master's Degrees. For example, in Ohio, a student may graduate with a Bachelor's in Education and teach for up to 10 years without the Master's. Such students have those 10 years in which to earn a Master's degree or else actually lose their teaching jobs. They may still serve in the capacity of Substitute Teacher in some school districts and in others, they may tutor students for pay.
The questioner wondered the advisability of returning to school to obtain a second Master's degree and in what field, wondering if healthcare or CIS (IT) might be best.
By the end of December 2013, teaching and IT-related jobs advertised online for Teach for America programs alone have increased significantly, with a full 1,000 IT positions open in addition to teaching and teaching related positions.
Teach For America Mission and Jobs Across the USA
Teacher Job Search Resources
In answer, I would first suggest
- Considering a move to an area where greater numbers of teaching jobs are located,
- Applying for employment with online K-12 sites or with Phoenix University online or other such distance learning companies, and
- Applying for tutor positions with professional tutoring companies.
Several states and school districts cut teaching positions in 2010 - 2011, 2011 - 2012, and 2012 - 2013. Some, like Columbus Public Schools in Ohio, sold off several empty school buildings as well. However, some other school systems in the USA increased jobs, especially in the fast growing cities of Texas.
The most openings for mainstream teachers seem to occur frequently in the metro areas of Boston, Dallas-Fort Worth, and Fairfax County, Virginia. Many other certified teachers are needed in tutoring, substitute teaching, and Special education K-12.
Approaching New Year's 2014, the USA showed lob listings via all sources on the Internet for approximately 25,000 teaching positions and 24,000 tutoring positions.
More on Healthcare and IT Occupations
Healthcare and CIS/IT Prospects
New numbers and types of Healthcare jobs and Computer Information Science (Information Technology) jobs will increase through the 2020s. Technicians and professionals with related BS and MS degrees will find ready work available.
The increases will be the result of new health and medical technologies emerging in the 2010s, including the fields of laboratory based organ growth for transplant patients, 3D printer organs and prosthetic appliances, pig matrix cell powder generation of replacement organs within patients, and the plethora of data to be recorded in all these activities. The aging American and world populations call for additional health and medical treatment and preventative care as well, with or without the advance of nationalized healthcare, Obamacare, and other insurance/self pay systems.
Another advance that will increase jobs in type and number is the growing Aerospace Industry. Increasing numbers of computer and engineering professionals are required in this industry. Further, Space Medicine is finally gaining recognition as it begins to find its place in facilitating long term space travel plans.
Trending Analysis for Teaching Jobs
TEACHER HIRING TRENDS:
- From 2008 to the end of 2009, the number of job postings from all sources on the Internet reached an increase of 78%.
- By December 2009, over 25,000 teaching positions were listed online across the USA, approximately equal to the number listed at the end of December 2013. These job titles include:
- Teacher I (a teacher in a specific system, i.e. Teacher I, II, or III)
- Music Teacher
- Teacher Ii
- Assistant Center Director
- Associate Teacher
- Special Education Teacher
- Piano Teacher
- Teacher Iii
- Voice Teacher
- Substitute Teacher
- School Based SLP - Speech and communication disorders intervention
- Teacher in ministry organizations and church schools
- Lead Teacher
- Early Childhood Teacher
- An additional 7,500 tutoring jobs were posted at a wide range of salaries throughout 2009, increasing to approximately 24,000 such jobs at the end of 2013.This is an increase of over threefold.
Reasons for the increase in tutoring jobs include
- Federally mandated tutoring for students falling below standardized testing goals,
- Parents' desire to stave off learning loss in their children during summers, and
- Parents' goals for having their children increase their scores on the SAT and ACT college entrance-type exams.
DAYCARE/EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
Some teaching positions listed are related to daycare centers and may or may not make use of a certified teacher's abilities and/or pay at the wage levels of the local school systems. In fact, many preschool teachers are paid Federal Minimum Wage, or State Minimum Wage, if it is higher than the federal number. A few preschools do, however, pay higher wages and teach children reading, printing, and arithmetic before they enter Kindergarten.
OTHER VENUES FOR TEACHERS
Additional teacher-related positions were advertised for charter schools and businesses. Businesses increasingly operate their own in-house educational systems for ongoing professional development.
Such nontraditional programs can go so far as to include ESOL and GED classes on-site for immigrant and native workers. In fact, Kroger Grocery stores in certain towns offer this educational service on site within their stores. Thus, teaching jobs occur inside and outside of the traditional K-12 school system.
Best Locations For High Demand Teaching Jobs In K-12
More About Teaching
- US Space History: Exploration Opens to Teachers, Students and the Public
Brent Spiner, Lt. Commander Data from the popular Star Trek saga, and others have joined a leading Space Mining company to guide the American public into participation in space exploration.
- Teaching English In Beijing
I have known several excellent teachers of English that traveled to China to spend two years teaching ESOL. Hundreds of these jobs are avaiable.
- Top 5 Reasons Many Teachers Quit?
Teacher turnover in some cities may be higher than wanted, but it can be remedied.
Open Job Locations For Teachers
The cities in which the most teaching jobs, Pre-K thru 12 and Special Education, were located on the date of search included:
- Boston Public Schools (Massachusetts)
- Fairfax County, Virginia
- Tarrant County, Texas (Fort Worth Area, Texas)
- Elk Grove Unified School District (Illinois)
- California Virtual Academies (online)
- Tuscon Unified School District (Arizona)
- Albuquerque Public Schools (New Mexico)
- Philadephia School District
- Oakland Unified School District (California)
- Dallas Independent School District
- Tacoma School District 310 (Washington State)
- Everett Public School (Washington State)
- Inner City Education Foundation - Los Angeles
- Houston Independent School Disdtrict (Texas)
- Windham School District (Texas)
- WyzAnt Tutoring at http://www.wyzant.com/home.aspx PH: 1- 877-999-2681
- TakeLessons.com - music - http://www.getmusicjobs.com/
- Pedia Staff - language intervention - http://www.pediastaff.com
- Tutor Nation - http://www.tutornation.com
Language and Communications Disorders intervention in the schools seems a growing job classification overall and additional training in that field to go with the required teaching certificates in many instances would open a job candidate to lucrative employment.
Advice From Long Time Teacher: Bill Cosby, EdD
Bill Cosby, EdD on Education
Mr. Bill Cosby, comedian and actor, earned the Bachelor in Arts from Temple University, and the Master's of Education (MEd) and Doctorate in Education (EdD) from the University of Massachusetts.
The educator-comedian and his wife have donated and facilitated teaching programs at Central State University in Western Ohio for many years.
Mr. Cosby's doctoral thesis was The Integration of Visual Media Via Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids Into the Elementary Schools Culminating as a Teacher Aid to Achieve Increased Learning.
Bill Cosby has remained a lifelong advocate of excellence in education for children, similar to another television hero of children, Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo).
Visit www.BillCosby.com to find out more about his stance for a strong American educational system.
More by this Author
Many teachers quit because the job is becoming too difficult. Some school principals and school district administrators practice micromanagement and insist on restrictive obstacles. Can we change?
Which phrase is correct in proper English grammar–"in person" or "in-person"? Is it an adjective or an adverb? The answer depends on context.
In the latest evaluation of top nursing schools in the country, the complex provided at the University of California - San Francisco (UCSF) appears on several Top 10 Lists in nursing specialties.