How to prepare for an earthquake
How to prepare for an earthquake ?
An Earthquake can be a real disaster that can happen without any sign preceeding it and that you need to prepare for. If you live or happened to be in an earthquakes prone area, you should learn about what to do during an earthquake and how to react and you should also be prepared for it, secure your house in a way that pretects you from the catastrophic dangers of an earthquake.
First, make sure to have a plan for natural disasters that is known by every member of the family. This is important to avoid confusion and wrong decisions when the disaster happen. Also, select a safe place to meet at in case of a disaster or if you had to evacuate the house.
You should keep in mind that phone lines or mobile towers may be destroyed during an earthquake so not to depend on phones for communicating with other family members but instead meet in the predefined place/places.
Preparing for an earthquake
- Evaluate for potential hazards indoor. Fix any broken gas lines, electric wires or cracks in the ceilings immediately.
- Shelves should be will fastened to the walls and that high shelves contain only light objects.
- Make sure that heavy objects are placed on the floor or on the lowest edges. These can fall and cause injuries when the earthquake strikes in.
- Mirrors, TV's, pictures and any glass should be placed away from beds and couches.
- Put inflammable and glass bottles in closed cabinets with latches.
- Attend classes at the nearest fire station in your area, they will have classes to teach you how to react during an earthquake or a disaster.
- Keep plenty of water and food for emergency. Store water and food in a safe place and make sure the amount is enough for 1-2 weeks!
- Keep a pair of strong shoes on hand because cuts from broken glass are very common in earthquakes.
Keep these things in an easy to access place:
-First aid kits and important medications.
-Flashlights and radios.
-A pair of strong shoes.
-Clothes for several days.
-Glow sticks are better than candles as gas leak is a common problem during earthquakes.
Don't forget that you must have an emergency plan that all family members know, teach the children how to turn the gas and electricity off. And choose a place to meet at if the earthquake happened when family members are in different places. But the disaster supplies mentioned above and keep them in good condition!
Remember that understanding disasters and having a plan could really help you survive even the most dangerous earthquakes.
Stay safe :).
Photo by Hey Paul.
More by this Author
Funny Quotes from House M.D.. These are my favourite House quotes ( Hugh Laurie).
Causes of eye floaters.
It's an important issue, when do babies talk ? And it concerns all parents. There are many special unforgettable moments during the growth of babies that are worth waiting for. Such moments are very fun and amazing for...