Surprising Facts about the Plant Kingdom! (Miscellaneous)
- Venus-fy-trap, pitcher plant, bladder wort etc are insect eating plants, they derive their nitrogen from them.
- In California's Wheeler Park, there is a Bristlecone pine tree with an estimated age of 5,000 years.
- An american coast red wood reaches a height of 110 m.
- Bamboo is not a tree but a grass. It grows amazingly fast, at the rate of three feet a day.
- The sunflower always turns towards sunlight.
- Coffee was discovered by goats.
- The flower of artillery plant measures only 0.35 mm in diameter. It is the smallest ever known flower.
- The flower of Rafflesia measures 90 cm in diameter and is the largest known flower.
- Boxwood is so heavy that it does not float on water but sinks.
- Seaweed is used in the manufacturing of fertilizers, medicines, paint, toothpaste and in icecreams too.
- The oldest known living seed came from a North American Arctic Lupin. It was found in 1954, buried in frozen silt near Miller Greek in central Yukon-Canada, by a mining engineer named Schmidt. It had been there for 10,000 years. Yet, when scientist planted it, a plant grew which was identical to the modern plant.
- The greatest depth at which plant life has been found is 884 feet.
- There are about 252 varieties of potato grown in the world.
- Coniferous forests of the Northern Russia are the largest in the world.
- Edible mushrooms grow to their full size within seven days.
- Tree trunk of the baobab tree in Kenya is so long that some people make their homes with the hollowed out trunks.
- A cactus plant, only three feet tall may have roots spreading out to a length of ten feet across the desert.
- Orchid seeds are so small that one million of these would weigh somewhat less than 1 gm.
- Plants produce oxygen in day time which is ten times more than the carbon dioxide produced at night.
More by this Author
Sharks don't usually attack humans. We are not their natural prey. We get attacked because we resemble some of their prey and the shark makes a mistake in murky waters. For example we look a lot like a seal swimming in...
It is possible to see a rainbow as a complete circle from an aeroplane. A litre of vinegar is heavier in winter than in summer. A barrel of juice or wine would take about a year or two to ferment naturally into...
These are the world's most dangerous, deadly snakes for humans: Find out about the habits of each snake, where they live, and how to avoid them.