the universe is huge
The universe is so huge, that you can't comprehend its size
The universe is big. It's very big. In fact, it's so big that it is impossible for our brains to comprehend the distances. Our own galaxy, the Milky Way, is 946 quadrillion kilometers in diameter. How far is that? That's 946 billion millions. That's alot of millions. Still can't comprehend that distance? That's okay, I can't either.
"Imagine losing your keys in a place like that"
Yeah, I laughed too.
So what are the largest known stars?
The largest known stars are measured through solar diameter. The sun is used as the base for measuring, and is measured as one solar diameter.
- VY Canis Majoris - 1800-2100 Solar Diameters
- VW Cephei - 1600-1900 Soliar Diameters
- V354 Cephei - 1520 Solar Diameters
- KW Sagitarii - 1460 Solar Diameters
- KY Cygni - 1420 Solar Diameters
- Mu Cephei - 1420 Solar Diameters
- V509 Cassiopeiae - 910 Solar Diamters
- V838 Monocerotis - 800 Solar Diameters
- V382 Carinae - 747 Solar Diameters
- Antares - 700 Solar Diameters
- Betelgeuse - 650 Solar Diameters
- S Pegasi - 580 Solar Diameters
- S Doradus - 550 Solar Diameters
- T Cepheii - 540 Solar Diameters
- S Orionis - 530 Solar Diameters
- W Hydrae - 520 Solar Diameters
- 119 Tauri - 510 Solar Diameters
- R Cassiopeiae - 500 Solar Diameters
- Delta Canis Majoris - 482 Solar Diameters
- Chi Cygni - 470 Solar Diameters
- Alpha Herculis - 460 Solar Diameters
- Rho Cassiopeiae - 450 Solar Diameters
- Mira A - 400 Solar Diameters
- Eta Carinae - 400 Solar Diameters
- R Doradus - 370 Solar Diameters
- HR Carinae - 350 Solar Diameters
- R Leonis - 350 Solar Diameters
- The Pistol Star - 340 Solar Diameters
- La Superba - 300 Solar Diameters
- Deneb - 220 Solar Diameters
- LBV 1806-20 - 200 Solar Diameters
- Epsilon Aurigae A - 175 Solar Diameters
- Zeta Aurigae - 160 Solar Diameters
- Epsilon Pegasi - 150 Solar Diameters
There are many more to see, you can check them out by following this link to Wikipedia. Below is an image you can look at which will give you some idea about the size of the sun compared to earth. This should help you comprehend the size of the above stars.
So the sun's pretty big, right? Wrong. Take a look at the sun when compared to the LARGEST known star. Click here to see the full sized image of the sun next to Canis Majoris.
More by this Author
So I finally managed to get around to writing this article, hopefully it's everything you've been hoping for. There's what can only be described as a massive amount of information online regarding the Nissan RB20DET...
The topic of RB20 intake manifolds is a hot one. As the price of used Nissan RB20DET engines continues to tumble, more people are viewing them as a viable option to their current engine. The RB20 itself is a marvel,...
This article focuses on the often-misunderstood, underestimated RB20DET, as found in various late-eighties/early-nineties Nissans.