100 Incredible Films (Vol. 4 ~ 70-61)
#70 ~~~ Children of Men (2006)
Children of Men - The Trailer
Science Fiction is often dominated by elaborate and expensive special effects and the quality of story is usually based around which characters will sell better in the toystores. This is not that. This is an action-packed post-apocalyptic delight-you-on-a-carnal-level Ass-Kicker!!!
# 69 ~~~ Barfly (1987)
Barfly ~ The Trailer
If you have never seen this film, than you don't Mickey Rourke! The guy was born to play this part in this movie and nobody can ever take it away from him. His writer Henry, (like Pacino's Scarface) is so perfectly over the top at some points and yet poised and controlled in others. No story arc crap here. Faye Dunaway is back on top of her game here too.
# 68 ~~~ Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND
Can you imagine being able to erase any unpleasant memories you ever had? Well, in the future we just might able to do it. But this fantastic Charlie Kaufman / Michel Gondry collaboration warns us ahead of time, that heartache, although painful might just be necessary.
# 67 ~~~ The Outsiders (1983)
Now people might think this choice a bit obvious but believe me, I have my reasons. You might not realize this but Francis Ford Coppola assembled the cast for a reunion before the release of his new edition release. Talk about the ultimate Special Feature! The new version is going to make die-hard fans of S.E. Hinton's book very happy too. The Complete Novel version is an A+ upgrade.
# 66 ~~~ Cube (1997)
Cube - a total mindf***
This film is sooooo freakin' cool that I had to include it. It isn't the greatest movie ever by any means but it is somewhat brilliant in it's simplicity. Fear of the unknown and worse yet, not knowing how the hell you got there in the first place works great for both characters and especially the audience. Fun, if you haven't seen it.
# 65 ~~~ The Conversation (1974)
Are you at all interested in the only film made by Francis Ford Coppola in between The Godfather Parts 1 & 2? I mean if a filmmaker was ever on a roll, it was right here. Gene Hackman plays a surveillance expert who gets way too close to the subjects he is spying on. When he suspects that they are going to be murdered, his conscience steps in.
# 64 ~~~ The Secret of NIMH (1982)
Fans of NIMH made this trailer!
THE SECRET OF NIMH
What? I love this movie. I know it's Don Bluth instead of somebody talented but I swear it's terrific. The entire backstory of NIMH is so great and it's seldom found in animated films of this era. I'm not saying you have to own it, but you most definitely have to see it once. For kids and adults.
# 63 ~~~ In The Name Of The Father (1993)
IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER
This film is based on the true story about Gerry Conlan who's coerced confessions were used to falsely convict him, his father and his friends for 15 years. The charge being that they were involved in the two IRA bombings in London that killed seven people. This is about the fight to clear his name and it is unforgettable.
# 62 ~~~ Falling Down (1993)
Falling Down...... oh yeah.
William Foster a/k/a 'D-FENS' just wants to see his daughter on her birthday but the little inconveniences in life just won't let it happen. Gridlock? No problem, he abandons the car. Gangland violence and psychotic army-navy stores? No big deal today. Not for this guy. Unfortunately though, this is also the movie that psychopaths watch before going out and doing actual harm.
# 61 ~~~ Igby Goes Down (2002)
This is one one of my favorite movies of all-time. It's got this great, honest, screw the world New York attittude that I find completely satisfying. Amanda Peet is smoking hot and so is Claire Danes. Ryan Phillippe & Susan Sarandon are both really funny....and then there's Igby. He is the definitive anti-hero from a generation full of them.
The List So Far....
100) Romeo Is Bleeding (1993 - Gary Oldman, Lena Olin)
99) Victory (1981 - Sylvester Stallone, Michael Caine)
98) Bad Boys (1983 - Sean Penn, Esai Morales)
97) Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993 - Ben Kingsley, Laurence Fishburne)
96) The Last House On The Left (1972 - Wes Craven's Debut)
95) Citizen Ruth (1996 - Laura Dern, Swoozie Kurtz)
94) This Boy's Life (1993 - Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert DeNiro, Ellen Barkin)
93) Three Kings (1999 - George Clooney, Mark Walhberg, Ice Cube, Spike Jonze)
92) Sex, Lies and Videotape (1989 - James Spader, Andie MacDowell)
91) Kalifornia (1993 - Brad Pitt, Juliette Lewis, David Duchovny)
90) 2 Days in the Valley (1996 - Charlize Theron, Eric Stoltz, Danny Aiello, Glenne Headley)
89) Lean On Me (1989 - Morgan Freeman, Robert Guillaume)
88) Hard Eight (1996 - Philip Baker Hall, John C. Reilly, Gwyneth Paltrow)
87) Devil in a Blue Dress (1995 - Denzel Washington, Don Cheadle, Jennifer Beals)
86) V for Vendetta (2005 - Natalie Portman, Hugo Weaving)
85) Freeway (1996 - Reese Witherspoon, Keifer Sutherland, Brittany Murphy)
84) Cop Land (1997 - Sylvester Stallone, Robert DeNiro, Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta)
83) Red Dawn (1984 - Patrick Swayze, C. Thomas Howell, Charlie Sheen)
82) The Warriors (1979 - Street Gang Classic by Walter Hill)
81) Run Lola Run (1998 - Franka Potente, Moritz Bleibtreu)
80) The United States of Leland (2003 - Ryan Gosling, Don Cheadle)
79) Bound (1996 - Gina Gershon, Jennifer Tilly, Joe Pantoliano)
78) American Psycho (2000 - Christian Bale, Jared Leto)
77) The Basketball Diaries (1995 - Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Wahlberg, Lorraine Bracco)
76) Alpha Dog (2006 - Emile Hirsch, Ben Foster, Justin Timberlake, Bruce Willis)
75) Empire of the Sun (1987 - Christian Bale, John Malkovich, Joe Pantoliano)
74) My Bodyguard (1980 - Chris Makepeace, Adam Baldwin,Matt Dillon,Martin Mull,Ruth Gordon)
73) To Die For (1995 - Nicole Kidman, Matt Dillon, Joaquin Phoenix, Casey Affleck)
72) Hustle & Flow (2005 - Terrance Howard, Taraji P. Henson, DJ Qualls)
71) Logan's Run (1976 - Michael York, Jenny Agutter)
70) Children of Men (2006 - Clive Owen, Julianne Moore, Michael Caine)
69) Barfly (1987 - Mickey Rourke, Faye Dunaway, Frank Stallone)
68) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004 - Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst, Mark Ruffalo, Elijah Wood)
67) The Outsiders (1983 - Matt Dillon, Ralph Macchio, C. Thomas Howell, Rob Love, Emilio Estevez, Patrick Swayze, Diane Lane)
66) Cube (1997 - David Hewlett, Andrew Miller)
65) The Conversation (1974 - Gene Hackman, John Cazale)
64) The Secret of NIMH (1982 - Animated feat. Dom DeLouise)
63) In The Name of the Father (1993 - Daniel Day-Louis, Emma Thompson, Pete Postlethwaite, Tom Wilkinson)
62) Falling Down (1993 - Michael Douglas, Robert Duvall)
61) Igby Goes Down (2002 - Kieran Culkin, Claire Danes, Ryan Phillippe, Susan Sarandon, Amanda Peet, Jeff Goldblum)
More by this Author
The 100 Incredible Films Countdown is allmost done and that means that we have some juicy good flicks in this edition. River Phoenix, Benicio Del Toro, David Mamet are featured.
Ten more classics from the Funktual Library of Films! If you are as frustrated as me at Blockbuster/Netflix, why not go retro and see the good stuff you've missed?
This epic list was inspired by my childhood radio station WLIR-WDRE 92.7 fm on Long Island. Their mantra was 'Dare To be Different' and they were introducing new bands every single week. Let's begin.