BABY BOOMER CHRONICLES (BBC) 1976
Welcome to the Baby Boomer Chronicles, the other BBC. I created this as I have a sentimental and nostalgic side to my nature. While my focus is on the Baby Boomer generation, born during 1946-1964. If you come either late or early to the party, welcome all the same. For me, like many others, great songs mark milestones in time’s passage as a part of life’s journey. When ever a song appeared at the ‘top of the charts’, I usually knew what going on in the world and in my life for during that particular time period. I put up a classic music nugget or two and hope that your memory is jogged in such a way, as mine always is. We will focus on music from year 1960-1989. For me, much earlier, I do not remember well, and after about 1990, my feelings about popular music were akin to those of my parents about the rock and roll era. They still look for that ‘Doggie in the Window’. This focuses primarily on popular music. In any case, let your tastes and imagination take you to ever greater heights. This may well be your catalyst.
"You see, we can move freely within the first 3 dimensions, but within the 4thdimension, time, we are all prisoners".
TIME CHANGES SPACE.
“The Time Machine” H.G. Wells
Who says that we can’t observe and enjoy the changing landscape while imprisoned?
I found a couple of great songs here that help me define the year 1976. Yes, its personal, like a fingerprint. You may well find a different path, see table of "Top 100 Pop Songs for 1976". As we move backwards into time, may you find your way as pleasant.....
"Disco Duck" by Rick Dees
I had fun with that song, perhaps it is what got the whole Disco scene started.
Were you ever a "Disco Duck?"
"Una Paloma Blanca" by George Baker
I liked this song, the video is great as it was done at the time the song was on the charts in the United States.
Top Pop 1976
1. Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry
2. December 1963 (Oh What A Night) - Four Seasons
3. Shake Your Booty - KC and The Sunshine Band
4. Afternoon Delight - the Starland Vocal Band
5. You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine - Lou Rawls
6. Get Up Offa That Thing - James Brown
7. Rock and Roll All Night (Live) - Kiss
8. Summer - War
9. Take The Money and Run - Steve Miller Band
10. Turn The Beat Around - Vicki Sue Robinson
11. Theme From Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To) - Diana Ross
12. I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Creedence Clearwater Revival
13. You Should Be Dancin' - Bee Gees
14. Boogie Fever - The Sylvers
15. Rock N Me - Steve Miller Band
16. Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel - Tavares
17. You Sexy Thing - Hot Chocolate
18. If You Leave Me Now - Chicago
19. The Rubberband Man - the Spinners
20. Baby I Love Your Way - Peter Frampton
21. Love To Love You Baby - Donna Summer
22. Love Machine - The Miracles
23. Breezin' - George Benson
24. You're My Best Friend - Queen
25. Dream On - Aerosmith
26. Tonight's The Night - Rod Stewart
27. Sing A Song- Earth, Wind and Fire
28. More Than A Feeling - Boston
29. Show Me The Way - Peter Frampton
30. Love Rollercoaster - Ohio Players
31. I'd Really Love To See You Tonight - England Dan & John Ford Coley
32. Tear The Roof Off The Sucker (Give Up The Funk) - Parliament
33. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
34. (Don't Fear) The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
35. Fernando - Abba
36. Saturday Night - Bay City Rollers
37. Love Is The Drug - Roxy Music
38. Golden Years - David Bowie
39. Mamma Mia - Abba
40. Wake Up Everybody - Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes
41. Love Hurts - Nazareth
42. Sara Smile - Hall and Oates
43. Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
44. Magic Man - Heart
45. Fly Away - John Denver
46. Still Crazy After All These Years - Paul Simon
47. Disco Duck - Rick Dees
48. Love Hangover - Diana Ross
49. One Piece At A Time - Johnny Cash
50. Strange Magic - ELO
51. Kid Charlemagne - Steely Dan
52. Hurricane - Bob Dylan
53. Right Back Where We Started From - Maxine Nightingale
54. Hold Back The Night - The Trammps
55. Let Her In - John Travolta
56. A Fifth Of Beethoven - Walter Murphy
57. Can't Hide Love - Earth, Wind and Fire
58. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out - Bruce Springsteen
59. 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover - Paul Simon
60 Takin It To The Streets - Doobie Brothers
61. It's Over - Boz Scaggs
62. This Masquerade - George Benson
63. Madamoiselle - Styx
64. Times of Your Life - Paul Anka
65. Shower The People - James Taylor
66. Slow Ride - Foghat
67. Beth - Kiss
68. The Fez - Steely Dan
69. More, More, More - Andrea True Connection
70. Hot Stuff - The Rolling Stones
71. Don't Touch Me There - the Tubes
72. Fool For The City - Foghat
73. The Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzie
74. Locomotive Breath - Jethro Tull
75. This One's For You - Barry Manilow
76. Baretta's Theme (Keep Your Eye On The Sparrow) - Rhyth Heritage
77. Love Ballad - L.T.D.
78. Rhiannon (Will You Ever win) - Fleetwood Mac
79. take It To The Limit - The Eagles
80. Crazy On You - heart
81. Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word - Elton John
82. Still The One - Orleans
83. Nadia's Theme (Young and the Restless) - Barry DeVorzon & Perry Botkin Jr
84. Do You Feel Like We Do - Pter Frampton
85. Evil Woman - Electric Light Orchestra (ELO)
86. Shout It Out Loud - Kiss
87. Magic Man - Heart
88. Sqeeze Box - The Who
89. Moonlight Feels Right - Starbuck
90. Over My Head - Fleetwood Mac
91. Let The Music Play - barry White
92. You Are The Woman - Firefall
93. Lorelei - Styx
94. Say You Love Me - Fleetwood mac
95. The Raven - Alan Parsons Project
96. Whats The Name of This Funk (Spider-Man) Ramsey Lewis
97. Dog Eat Dog Ted Nugent
98. Cowboy Song - Thin Lizzy
99. TVC15 - David Bowie
100. The - The Heyettes
Was that 1976 thingy good for you?
You have to think about 1976, Without looking it up in Wikipedia, which events do you remember?
I know the news stories that got my attention:
1. The U.S. Bicentennial celebration dominated the summer, outside of that nothing spectacular
Personal: 1976 was a busy year:
1.May-Graduated from Colorado State, hello alums!
2. May- Commissioned 2nd Lt, USAF-ROTC
3. Colorado celebrates its statehood centennial in August
4. November- On my way to Southern California to my first duty station. Although the smog was overwhelming, my first visit to the 'City of Angels' was quite stunning.
More by this Author
I retired from my government job last May, 2010 and moved to Hawaii in July, 2010. I came bringing my wife and her 4 four legged critters in tow. I thought that I would relay a little information about the transition...
During the heat of the 2008 presidential campaign, many of my conservative co-workers asked me why Blacks overwhelmingly voted for Democrats. If they did not have the answer, I am sure that most of you don’t...
This photo is pretty loathsome, isn’t it? From the Biblical Genesis to the present day, snakes have always struck fear in most people. They are by their very nature devious, stealthy and not to be trusted,...