How to create an old fashioned Drive-In Movie Theater in your living room
I do enjoy a good movie, but with prices at the theaters, nowadays I either rent a movie or I wait until the movie airs on TV, if it does. If you have children, a night out at the movies can cost a pretty penny so creativity is your best bet when it comes to entertaining the kids. If you don't have movie night at your house, it's time to start making it a family affair. Here's how to turn your living room into an old fashioned Drive-In Movie Theater you and the kids will thoroughly enjoy:
Collect your "box" cars
- Start collecting different size boxes depending on the size of your family members. Go to grocery stores or other places, getting brown and white boxes, just to mix it up a bit.
Decorate your "box" cars
After collecting your boxes it's time to make them look like cars, well almost. To decorate the boxes this is what you do:
- First fold the box flaps down into the boxes or cut them off.
- To give the boxes some form of seating comfort, place some pillows in them.
- Get black plastic plates and glue to the sides of the boxes - these are the wheels.
- Get white construction paper and cut round shapes and glue to the front of the boxes - these are your headlights. Or, you may use some mason jar tops, because they're shiny and use as headlights.
- Take a black marker and draw a car's grill.
- Got any extra shoe boxes? These make great Food Trays. Get large binder clips to hold the "Food Trays" to the sides of the "Box" cars. To make sure everyone's drinks are secure, cut a slit at a corner of the food trays then fold it in as illustrated in the photo. Make sure your drink cups have lids to them to avoid any spills, especially if you have carpet.
- You may want to line the food trays with napkins and place straws in them as well.
Get your tickets
- Don't forget your roll of tickets that have "Admit One" on them. Give them to the family members in order for them to enter into the Drive-In movie theater, I mean the living room. If you're inviting some neighbors, mail them their tickets a week ahead of time, tell them to bring the tickets for entry, but have some on hand for those who may forget to bring their tickets.
Choose your Drive-In movie Usher
Assign an Usher (one of the kids) at the entrance of the Drive-In movie theater, I mean the living room. Make it official and have fun. Even have the Usher wear a Black Bow Tie and carry a flashlight.
Movie Food For All!
Who doesn't enjoy hot dogs, pizza, and popcorn. You may want to pick up some cotton candy too. Don't forget the candy bars.
And by all means, enjoy the movie!
More by this Author
If you're a college student and you've lost a parent, or both of your parents, there are college scholarships for you. If you're a student in the foster care system there are scholarships for you too.
- 16African-Americans with Green, Grey, Hazel or Blue Eyes, Naturally Blonde or Red (Ginger) Hair, and Freckles
Have you ever seen an African-American with blue eyes? They do exist. How about an African-American with red hair and freckles? Come look at some blonde hair dark-skinned individuals.
Grandma's old fashioned ways are not so old after all. Back-to-basis ways of living is coming back. These 10 old fashioned ways of doing things will save you time and money.