Nia Vardalos: Actress In My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Nia Vardalos isn’t an actress that is famous to people by name. True fans know her by name, of course. But a lot of the other people who really like her work know her more by face than they do by name. This is due in part to the fact that she has been more popular as a television actress than she has a movie actress despite her great roles in some feature-length films. If you don’t know her, I would suggest that you get to know her because she’s a really neat actress who does an amazing job of playing mostly-comedic roles with grace and style.
Popular Roles for Nia Vardalos
If you know Nia Vardalos as an actress then it’s probably from one of these popular roles:
• Toula Portokalos in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. This famous movie is the one that launched Vardalos from television to the big screen. If you already know her by name then it’s almost certainly as a result of her role in this film.
• My Big Fat Greek Life. There was a television series that was spun off from the popular movie and she played in this as well. Those people who didn’t catch her in the movie may have caught her here on TV.
• Connie in Connie and Carla. This is one of my favorite movies even though it’s not well-known. It’s about two women who witness a crime and have to run away. To escape, they pose as drag queens who do a dinner-and-a-show act in California. Eventually they have to “come out” as the straight women that they really are. It’s a funny movie that had me laughing the whole time that I watched it. Nia Vardalos plays Connie, one of the two main stars of the movie.
• Saturday Night Live. Vardalos has been featured multiple times on Saturday Night Live. She’s a really funny woman and you get to see that humor shine in her roles on this show!
• My Life in Ruins. This is the newest of her movies to be released and it is still in theatres as of June 2009. It appears to essentially be a sequel to My Big Fat Greek Wedding so it seems that Vardalos is cashing in on the success of that role to the hilt!
Nia Vardalos Bio and Basic Facts
Some of the things that you should know about Nia Vardalos if you’re just starting to learn about her include:
• She was born in 1962. That means she turns 47 in 2009. Her birthday is September 24th.
• Her name is short for Antonia which was also her grandmother’s name. Her middle name is Eugenia after her other grandmother.
• She was born in Canada. She applied for and received dual citizenship in America in 1999. She is therefore considered to be a Canadian-American actress.
• She is married to actor Ian Gomez. He’s a television actor best known for roles on shows like The Drew Carey Show. They were married in 1993. They have one adopted daughter.
• She is not only an actress but also a writer and producer. She was a writer for both of her major movies listed above. Her screenplay for My Big Fat Greek Wedding was nominated for an Oscar. She was the executive producer of Connie and Carla.
• She recently lost a lot of weight using a diet program that she created herself. She had gained weight after learning that she was suffering from infertility. She decided to get back on track and to lose the weight. She created a diet based on four snacks and three low-glycemic meals per day. Her main exercise consisted of a lot of walking. She didn’t weigh herself to keep track of her weight loss but instead made it a goal to fit into clothes she knew that she once looked good in.
Photos of Nia Vardalos
There are a lot of great photos of Nia Vardalos available around the web. Some of the best links that are available to check these out include:
- Nia Vardalos on IMDB. The movie database is one of the best places to see photos of famous people including Nia Vardalos. She has a fairly extensive profile on the site with images from multiple roles that she's held.
- Nia Vardalos on TVGuide.com. This is another great website for checking out everything you wanted to know or see about famous people. There is a good page here for fans of Vardalos.
- Nia Vardalos on Starpulse. This set has a terrific gallery of photos of Nia Vardalos. She looks stunning in so many of the pictures that are featured here!
- Nia Vardalos on AskMen.com. What better place to see hot pictures of female celebrities than on a site that is devoted to making men happy? There are over two dozen hot pictures of Nia Vardalos here.
- Nia Vardalos on Fanpix. This is another site with a picture gallery. It's best for people who are mostly looking to check out thumbnail pix of the famous actress.
- Nia Vardalos on Celebrity Wonder. This site has a gallery of Wire Image photos of the famous actress. If you want to see the shots that the paparazzi has taken then this is a good site to follow.
- Nia Vardalos on Celebrity Baby Blog. If you want to see pictures of Nia Vardalos with her adopted child then you're probably going to want to check for posts of her on this site which is famous for providing information about celebrities and their babies.
Those are just a handful of the sites that are worth checking out if you're interested in seeing photos of Nia Vardalos. Following celebrity and movie blogs in general will also help you to find her latest pictures. And if you're more of a video fan then check out the videos below:
More by this Author
The average person can’t imagine life without a cell phone these days. But what if you’re a superstar celebrity? If you have the money to afford a horde of personal assistants who can take messages for you...
The so-called "casting couch" is something that everyone at least vaguely knows about, especially if they have an interest in breaking into Hollywood films or Broadway theatre. It's general knowledge that...
How can you tell if your mushrooms are turning bad? Find out the most common signs to look for before throwing them out.