The Hangover (2009) Reviewed
If I had to sum this movie up in one word, it would be 'awesome'! I watched this movie shortly after it came out in theaters and knew within twenty minutes that it was an instant classic. The first time I watched it I walked out of the theater with tears in my eyes from laughing so much. This movie is definitely the funniest movie of 2009, and probably in the top 3 funniest of the decade.
Now before you run off and rent this movie, let me warn you, there is crude language and humor throughout the entire film. It's clearly designed for the twenty something male crowd. So if you're the type that is easily offended, you'll probably want to avoid this selection.
I'll give you a quick rundown of the movie without spoiling any funny parts and overall ruining your movie experience. Three friends take their soon-to-be married friend to Las Vegas to celebrate his one last night of freedom. Unfortunately, they awake the next morning with little to no memory of the night before. Worst yet, they have lost the groom, Doug.
Essentially starting at square one, the three amigos start back stepping through the town trying to remember what they done the night before in an attempt to find Doug. All I'm going to tell you is that this involves trips to a hospital, a wedding chapel, a run-in with Iron Mike, one angry Asian man, a tiger, an escort, and some middle-schoolers. You'll have to rent/buy this movie to see for yourself just what happens, I don't want to risk of spoiling any of the funny parts.
The Main Characters
- Doug, played by Justin Bartha, is the groom to be, aka the lost guy. His overall role in the movie is pretty small. He's lost three quarters of the movie so you essentially only see him at the beginning and the end of the movie.
- Phil, played by Bradley Cooper, is the ring leader of the three non-lost friends. He possess a 'I don't give a f@#k' attitude throughout most of the film that leads to some great comedic situations.
- Alan is played by Zach Galifianakis and is the funniest of the four. It's Alan's lines and facial expressions that make the movie stand out above the rest. If you have ever watched any of his stand up, you may notice some of his routine mixed in with the movie, but if you've never seen his stand up, you are in for a real treat. He plays the bride's brother and is just a bit weird...but in a creepy, yet hilarious way.
- Stu is played by Ed Helms of 'The Office' fame. I have never seen any of Helms' work before other than on The Office and wasn't sure what to expect. His character on The Hangover is completely different that his sitcom role. He plays a doctor (dentist really) who is a semi-abusive relationship with a woman who appears to hate his guts. Throughout the movie, he has to call and update his girlfriend to keep her from getting upset, and finding out they went to Vegas-not Napa Valley for wine tasting.
- Heather Graham plays the small role of Jade, a stripper/escort/mom that ends up eloping with one of the guys. If you're a Heather Graham fan, you're in for a treat. When they first find her in the movie, there is a brief shot of her breast feeding her baby. This is the only nudity in the film, other than a few snapshots at the end of the flick.
My Two Cents
I give this movie a 5 out of 5 stars. If you are a fan of Superbad, Knocked Up, or even the vintage Bachelor Party, you will love this movie. It's comedic gold. It's a great drinkin' movie. It's a great feel-good movie. It's a great movie, period.
I not only recommend that you rent this movie if you've never seen it, I recommend that you just go ahead and buy it. It's well worth the money and you'll watch it over and over. It's that good.
The blu-ray comes with bonus materials including Zach Galifianakis's 'Three Best Friends' song, more shots of The Dan Band's part in the wedding, and 100 pictures from their wild, but forgotten night. I haven't had a chance to watch the Hangover yet with the director's commentary on, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure hearing some of the stories behind the parts will make the movie that much better.
So, before this weekend gets here and you are stuck with nothing to do, order you a copy or make plans to rent this movie. I'll guarantee you'll laugh, (especially if you're about to get married and you have some wild and crazy friends that allows you to relate to this situation!)
More by this Author
A comprehensive list of all the NCAA Rivalry Game Trophies available to win on EA Sports NCAA Football 2013.
How-to article on replacing OEM sway bar links on a Nissan Titan 4x4 with a Moog Suspension link kit using basic hand tools in the comfort of your own garage. Easy project requiring less than an hour.
A step-by-step guide, with pictures, detailing everything one needs to know to change the oil and oil filter in their 2004-2010 Nissan Titan.
No comments yet.