jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Jesse Eisenberg was cast as lex luthor in Batman vs. Superman film

1. Stevennix2001 profile image81
    Stevennix2001posted 3 years ago

It was recently announced that Jesse Eisenberg was cast as Lex Luthor in the upcoming "Superman vs. Batman" film set to be released in 2016.  what are your thoughts?

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I love, love, love Jesse Eisenberg, so that's fine with me. He is a little low key, but Im sure he'll pull it off.

Stevennix2001posted 3 years ago in reply to this

idk. i mean he's a good actor and all, but he doesn't seem to pull off that confidence or swagger. that huxter con man side that's needed to play lex luthor.  i mean he's showed that he can definitely play a manipulative, greedy, condescending, and highly intelligent douchebag in the social network fairly well, but im just not sure if he can pull off the con man side to lex as well that's needed for the part.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

The only film I've seen him in was "Zombieland" so I don't really have any feelings one way or the other about him.

If anything I'm just kinda bummed that Bryan Cranston won't be playing Lex, as was rumored, cuz he probably would have been awesome!

Although i can't say im familiar with cranston's work.  from what i've heard, he seems like he would've probably been a better fit. Personally, i would've loved to have seen daniel day lewis play lex luthor because he played a great villain in such films like gangs of new york, and there will be blood. 

However, i guess we'll have to wait and see how this turns out.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image94
        FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago in reply to this

If anything, I'd say Jesse Eisenberg seems too young to play Luthor, but we don't know what "time period" the "B vs. S." film will be set in either. Perhaps it'll be earlier in the careers of both crime fighters.

I doubt it'll be earlier in both their careers because they cast ben affleck as batman, remember?  plus, wb even stated that batman will be older, and more seasoned than superman; meaning he'll have been around a lot longer than superman has in this new universe. 

As for lex, i agree with you to an extent, but here's the thing.  if you honestly look back at lex's history in comics, they've always changed his age.  I mean when he was first created, he was actually the same age as clark kent, and he was his best friend in high school before becoming his arch nemesis.,  it wasn't until later illustrations that it was rewritten to make lex older than superman until smallville went back to the younger version.  Therefore, they might be able to get away with a younger lex.

however, im just not sure if eisenberg can play the huxter con man side to him though. you know the part that can make pretty speeches like obama while stabbing you in the back the whole time. i mean based on what i saw in the social network, i think he can definitely pull off the arrogant, egotistical, greedy, condescending and manipulative side to him okay, but it's the con man side that im worried about.

working