Increasing breast milk supply: How to increase breast milk
Ways to increase breast milk production
Why do women search for ways for increasing breast milk supply? Because breastfeeding is the absolute best way to feed your baby and give him all what he needs specially, during the first 6 months of his life. These are some simple tips for increasing breast milk supply without special medications or anything.
- Initiate breast feeding immediately after delivery after both the mother and the baby are able to start, as long as both of them are in good health.
- The most important stimulation for increasing breast milk production/supply is breast feeding! Suckling helps more milk production and flow so both breasts should be evacuated regularly and completely. This is important for both the mother and the baby.
Breast feeding is also good for the mother and it helps better
involution of the uterus (due to suckling) and breast feeding generally
reduces the risk of breast cancer.
- Good nutrition of the mother. Make sure you are eating healthy food in enough amounts to maintain milk flow.
- Drink plenty of fluids, it's important for the production of adequate milk supply specially in hot weather.
- The emotional and psychological factor plays an important role here. Try to relax and reduce your stress levels and feed your baby in a quit place and in a comfortable position. The baby should be in semi-recimbent position.
- Frequency of feeding: During the first 4 months try to feed your baby on demand. That is about 8-12 times per day. The duration of each feed should be between 5-10 minutes/feed. Remeber that during the first days of his life this is just about 1- minutes.
- Frequent massage and warm baths for your breasts. Try to avoid engorgment by frequently feeding your baby and massaging your breasts, this will stimulate letdown and releive congestion.
- Offer both breasts for your baby. After he feeds from one side and empties it, offer him the other side in the same or in the next feed.
- Always make sure the nipples are health and clean. It's better to use water alone to clean the nipples as soap and detergents can cause irritation to the nipples.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or caffiene as these might be transmitted to your baby. Caffiene may stimulate milk production but it also makes your baby irritated and insomnic.
These were some natural ways for increasing breast milk supply, in some countries certain foods are used as "lactagogues" to increase breast milk but these merely have psychological effect on the mother.
- Foods to avoid when breastfeeding
There are certain foods to avoid when breastfeeding. Find out the most common foods that cause discomfort in breastfed babies.
- Breast milk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My favourite source of information. wikipedia abot breast milk.
- Breastfeeding: How to Pump and Store Your Breast Milk -- familydoctor.org
Information about pumping and storing breast milk from the American Academy of Family Physicians.
- How to stop breastfeeding: When and How to wean a baby?
It's an important issue for both the baby and the mother : how to stop breastfeeding?. Doctors suggest that exclusive breast feeding shouldn't be continued for more than 6 months. At the age of 4-6 months,...
More by this Author
Funny Quotes from House M.D.. These are my favourite House quotes ( Hugh Laurie).
Causes of eye floaters.
It's an important issue, when do babies talk ? And it concerns all parents. There are many special unforgettable moments during the growth of babies that are worth waiting for. Such moments are very fun and amazing for...