Bear N Mom - Chicken Coquettes in White Sauce with Peas
This recipe is a great way to use that leftover chicken from Sunday's dinner or you can start with the chicken and cook it especially for this tempting dinner. Your family will be very impressed with your presentation on this one. I also recommend this recipe for using the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving Day.
- 1-3/4 lbs Cooked Chicken, shredded
- 8 oz. Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- White Sauce:
- 3 Tablespoons Butter or margarine
- 3 Tablespoons Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Poultry Seasoning
- Dash Pepper
- 1 Cup Milk or Half and Half
- White Sauce: Microwave the butter for one minute on high, then add the flour and seasonings. Whisk together, then cook one more minute in the microwave, gradually stir in the milk or half & half. Microwave on high about another three minutes or until the sauce thickens. Remove from the microwave and allow to cool.
- Coquettes: Shred the cooked turkey and add the white sauce. Taking an approximate 3 oz. portion in palm of your hand, form into a ball, then roll the croquette in seasoned bread crumbs. You should have 12 to 14 croquettes when completed. Fry the croquettes until golden brown, about five to ten minutes total for both sides.
- Repeat instructions for White Sauce, add peas to finished sauce and pour warm over Coquettes just before serving.
|Serving size: 250g|
|Calories from Fat||288|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 32 g||49%|
|Saturated fat 9 g||45%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 23 g||8%|
|Sugar 11 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 53 g||106%|
|Cholesterol 137 mg||46%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Alternative in Oven
My mother always made her coquettes in the oven. She formed her coquettes into peaks. She would place them on a baking sheet and bake them at 350° until they were golden brown. You don't want to over bake them because you don't want them to be dry.
Another alternative is to use Turkey instead of the chicken for those Thanksgiving leftovers.
Add peas to this white sauce.
More by this Author
Chicken baked with a delicious sesame breading.
easy chicken recipe made in a casserole with pimento sauce poured over each serving.
Old World Recipe for Croatian Nut Rolls as related to me by someone who baked these every Easter.
No comments yet.