How to Make the Best Vegetarian or Chicken Chili Recipe
Chili Bean Recipe
Preparations and Cooking
1. In a 8 to 10 qt. stock pot, combine chopped onions, carrots and oil. Stir often over medium-high heat until onions are golden and soft, 15-20 minutes.
2. Add mustard seeds and stir for 1 minute.
3. If you are adding ground beef or turkey, do so now. Crumble apart with a spoon and cook stirring occasionally until lightly browned.
4. Stir in chili powder, cumin seeds, cardamom, cinnamon, tomatoes and their liquid, stewed tomatoes and their liquid, tomato paste, and zucchini.
5. Add water and undrained kidney beans.
6. Simmer rapidly, uncovered, until chili is thickened and almost all liquid has evaporated, about 40 minute. Stir frequently to prevent scorching. Taste your chili before serving. I almost always add a bit more chili powder or garlic salt before serving.
7. Ladle chili into wide rimmed bowls and top with cheese, chopped onions, and a dollop of sour cream. Serve with a side of homemade cornbread and warm honey butter.
4 large onions chopped (If you can buy the sweet onions they are better. I love the sweet Walla Walla onions.)
2 medium zucchini
2 cups chopped, peeled carrots
6 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of mustard seeds
1 tablespoon of chili powder (at the end of making the chili I may add more chili powder for a spicier taste)
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3 large cans (about 1 lb. each) of kidney beans
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 can (14 oz.) stewed tomatoes
1 cup water
Grated cheddar cheese for topping
Sour cream and chopped onions for topping
Optional: 1 1/2 lb. ground beef or ground turkey, or 2 cans or 1 lb. canned chicken breast in water, drained.
More by this Author
A fantastic soup recipe for the Fall or any time of year.
My very favorite and best chicken and cheese enchilada recipe.
Symptoms, treatments and different reactions for bee stings, and photos of the different stages of a bee sting to the eye.