Crispy Vegetable Pancakes, Kids' Favorite
I love the chance to throw vegetables at my kids. Especially when they just plain taste good. In this case carrots and zucchini pair up with a little red onion and potato, and the result is crispy fabulousness. I also love that these are a no brainer. They go together in a flash, cook for about ten minutes, and the kids eat them like crazy. They really are good - crispy like hashbrowns, but with a subtle sweetness from the carrots and crunch from the zucchini. Mmmm.
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 medium potato, grated
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbl olive oil
- fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Over medium heat, heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Mix together remaining ingredients, tossing well to combine.
- Drop heaping spoonfuls of the vegetable mixture into the hot pan. Pat each pancake gently with the back of a spatula to flatten it.
- Allow each pancake to cook on the first side for 3-4 minutes - you're looking for the edges to be golden and crispy before you flip them. Turn each one once, and cook on the second side an additional 3-4 minutes. Both sides should be crispy and golden.
- Serve immediately. These are great plain, but try a little cream fraiche if you can get it or if not, sour cream is yummy too.
Visit the Website!
- The Thrillbilly Gourmet
Making gourmet food accessible to every cook. Classic technique applied to everyday food for spectacular results!
More by this Author
This is how Southerners make perfect, moist, crunchy, tasty fried chicken.
When my oldest son was still a baby, but able to talk (which was about two hours after birth and he hasn't quit yet), he started yelling 'stuff'! Took me a while to figure out that he was asking for stuffing - and this...
Cast iron is wonderful stuff, but it does take some extra care and knowhow to keep it at its best. Here's all you need to know about maintaining its non-stick luster.