Recipe for Students...
When I had entered my First year of Graduate School and was heading towards a dorm, my Mom taught me this basic recipe which was a life saver since; it was equally nutritious and easy to cook. I used to have these cooked potatoes with bread and it was just DE-LI-CI-OUS!
- Microwave OR Boil over Stove-top; 2 Medium size potatoes until they are soft
- Once the potatoes cool down
- Peel off the skin and cut them in small sizes
- Take a frying pan and pour some oil in it
- Once the oil is warm add a pinch of mustard seeds and let those seeds sizzle a bit
- Add crushed 2 cloves of garlic, crushed 2 teaspoon of ginger and some slices of onions
- Sautee them until brown
- Add spices such as a pinch of Turmeric powder, a pinch of Red chilli pepper powder, a pinch of Coriander powder and Salt according to taste.
- Add the sliced potatoes to the above mixture in the pan and mix it well.
- Simmer it for a couple of minutes so that the spices absorb into the potatoes.
- Garnish with cut coriander leaves.
NOTE: Pictures of Mustard Seed, Turmeric powder, Red Chilli pepper powder and Coriander powder are pasted.
NOTE: Below link gives information on Turmeric which is an essential ingredient that gives color to the vegetable and is also a good antiseptic.
- How to Add Turmeric As a Spice | eHow.com
How to Add Turmeric As a Spice. Turmeric is a key component in curry powder spice blends. It transforms plain, white rice into a colorful and fragrant yellow rice. Turmeric pairs well with lightly colored, bland foods, such as potatoes, rice, lentils
Another variation is making it curried by adding tomato paste to the above potato dish and adding some water to it. That makes the vegetable curried and can be had with rice.
Where to buy the spices?
The above spices such as Mustard Seed, Turmeric powder, Chilli powder, Coriander powder could be obtained from your local grocery stores (USA)
Alternatively, they could also be bought from Amazon.
For shopping from Amazon, check out a useful hub by Cloverleaf on how to save while shopping from this online store.
- How to Use Amazon Promotional Codes
How to use Amazon promotional codes to save extra money on your online purchases. A few tips on stacking coupon codes and well as what to do if your Amazon promotional code doesn't work.
More by this Author
This hub talks about the significance of the above date when a couple met and departed. Should we talk about the significance of the date or is it just plain old karma?
Do you know the labels that come with the food that you purchase? This hub will take you along the journey of what to eat and what to avoid and what kind of food labels to look for in the market.
Cricket is gaining popularity and is a team sport. It is ideal for children aged 5 and above to learn this game which will help develop their mind, body and spirit.