Delicious Turkey Recipes And Facts
Turkey Facts And Other Interesting Information
1. Did you know that more turkeys are eaten at Thanksgiving than all the other Holidays combined.
2. The most popular ways to serve left over turkey are stew , sandwiches , turkey salad , turkey casserole , and turkey stir fry.
3. It could have all been different had Benjamin Franklin have gotten his way. He wanted to name the Turkey our National Bird but in the end the American Bald Eagle won out. For some reason roasted bald eagle just doesn't do it for me.
4. The first meal eaten on the moon was turkey. It was eaten by astronauts Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin from little foil packs.
5. The Wild Turkey was native to northern Mexico and the eastern part of the United States. And back in the 1950's turkeys almost became extinct because of over hunting and forests being cut down. However today there are more wild turkeys than there ever were. In some states especially in the southern United States they are almost a pest.
6. Turkeys have lived in North America now for almost a million years.
7. The turkey wild or tame has 157 bones. In some parts of the United States the Turkey Wish Bone is considered good luck.
8. The record for the largest turkey ever raised was a massive 91 pound white Holland Tom Turkey raised just north of Charlotte North Carolina. At 3 years old he topped the scales at a massive 91 pounds. And he lived on the farm there and died of old age.
9. Gobbling turkeys can be heard almost a mile away. Some people use turkey calls to attract male turkeys while hunting them.
10. Wild turkeys can glide through the air for almost a mile with out flapping their wings while tame commercial turkeys like the white Holland which is the most raised commercial variety can not fly at all.
I bet you didn't know that turkey is one of the healthiest meats that you can eat and if prepared right one of the most delicious things you will ever eat. Here are a few quick turkey tips to make sure your turkey turns out moist , tender and delicious.
1. If your baking your turkey be sure to bake your turkey breast side down.Turkey cooked this way will be moist and delicious and never dry and tasteless.
2. Use a meat thermometer to insure that your turkey is cooked to the right temperature. Your turkey when done should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees. And that should be in the thickest part of your turkey.
3. One trick some chefs use to make sure they have a moist delicious turkey is they cook it with the breast side down and they stuff the turkeys body cavity with peeled oranges and apples and pour in a regular size can of regular soft drink. If you stuff your turkey this way it will cook more evenly and the canned soft drink helps keep the turkey moist.
4. Inject your turkey with Cajun Marinade. You can usually find a bottle of Cajun Marinade sold with a large injection needle to inject the marinade sold in most grocery stores.
5. About half way through your cooking time wrap your turkeys wings and ends of drum sticks with tinfoil to prevent burning, You can remove this tinfoil in the last 30 minutes of cooking time to make sure your turkey is brown all over.
6. You should consider cooking turkey through out the year for some delicious meals and highly nutritious meals. You can usually buy ground turkey now through out the year and you can even buy a whole turkey or a turkey breast to make sandwiches or turkey salad.
7. And keep in mind that turkey is not just for Thanksgiving. Have it all through out the year. A large turkey can provide you with meat for several great meals. You can even slice turkey really thin and have some great sandwiches.
Sweet And Sour Turkey Meatballs
Sweet And Sour Turkey Meatballs Recipe
For your Turkey Meatballs You Will Need.
1. 2 Pound Ground Turkey
2. 1 Cup Dry Italian Bread Crumbs.
3. 1/2 Cup Whole Milk.
4. 3 Tablespoons Very Fine Chopped Onion.
5. 1 Tablespoon Minced Fresh Garlic.
6. 1 Teaspoon Salt.
7. 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper.
8. 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce.
9. 2 Large Well Beaten Eggs.
Mix all your ingredients together well and form the mixture into 2" size meatballs and bake them in a large greased baking pan until done.
Sweet And Sour Sauce Recipe
1. 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar.
2. 1 1/2 Tablespoons Cornstarch.
3. 6 Tablespoons Pineapple Juice.
4. 1/2 Cup White Vinegar.
5. 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce.
Place all your above ingredients into a sauce pan and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 45 minutes. Add in your meatballs and shake and stir to cover well. Serve on a tray. These sweet and sour turkey meatballs are oh so delicious. If you make them please post a comment down below and let us know how they turned out for you.
Delicious Turkey Salad Recipe
Here's a recipe for a traditional southern turkey salad usually made from left over turkey but you can cook a turkey breast and make this delicious turkey salad.
For Your Recipe You Will Need.
1. 12 Eggs Boiled And Cooled.
2. 12 Cups Cooked Turkey Meat.
3. 1 Large Jar Sweet Pickle Relish.
4. 3 Tablespoons Very Fine Chopped Celery.
5. 3 Tablespoons Very Fine Chopped Purple Sweet Onion.
6. 1 Cup Mayonnaise.
7. 1 Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper.
8. 1 Tablespoon Salt.
9. 1 Tablespoon Black Pepper.
Run your eggs through the food processor to chop fine and pour into a large mixing bowl. Run your turkey through the food processor to chop fine. Add in all your other ingredients and mix well. Will keep for a week in the refrigerator. Store in a plastic container with lid. This is one of the best turkey salads you will ever eat.
Turkey Cornbread Casserole
Turkey Cornbread Casserole Recipe
Here's a delicious recipe for Turkey Cornbread Casserole that is so good and healthy for you. Plus its easy to make.
For Your Recipe You Will Need.
1. 1 Pound Of Ground Turkey.
2. 1/2 Cup Of Fine Chopped Onion.
3. 1 4 Ounce Can Green Chilies.
4. 1 Packet Taco Seasoning Mix.
5. 3 Tablespoons Water.
6. 1 Package Jiffy Corn Bread Mix.
7. 1 Large Egg.
8. 1 Cup Of Whole Kernel Corn.
9. 1 Cup Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican Cheese.
10. 1/2 Cup Whole Milk.
You will want to pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
You want to combine your turkey, onions, chilies, taco seasoning , and water in a large skillet and cook until the turkey is no longer pink. Spray a 9 inch square baking pan with spray vegetable cooking spray and spread the cooked turkey mixture in the bottom of the pan.
Make your jiffy cornbread mix with the corn bread mix, egg , milk , the corn , and cheese and spread on top of the turkey mixture. Bake for about 20 minutes until your corn bread is golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before you cut into squares and serve. Serve your favorite salsa and sour cream with the turkey corn bread casserole and you will have a very delicious meal. Serve with a green salad for a complete meal.
If you make the turkey , corn bread casserole please post a comment below and let us know how it turned out for you.
Let Us Hear Your Turkey Comments Now
More by this Author
Here you will find my award-winning recipe for beef, pork, and bean chili. Yes, I know, people claim all the time to have the best, but this one really is.
Baked Turkey Is My Favorite Part Of Thanksgiving. There are many delightfully delicious ways to cook and prepare a turkey. Everything from the traditional baking the turkey in the oven to deep frying the turkey. But...
If you want to know exactly how to grow a vegetable garden here is all the information you will ever need.
Post your turkey comments , tips, and suggestions now. Let me hear from you.
No comments yet.