5 Ideas for Simple Healthy Desserts for Kids
Preparing healthy desserts for kids can be quite challenging. Grown ups enjoy eating desserts and children enjoy it even more. But the great challenge to parents is to give their children what they want and yet make it as healthier as possible.
Children are growing up and are in the move all the time, and they need sugar to get enough energy. So you don’t need to worry that they will get fat or have negative consequences after eating some simple desserts. As long as what they eat the rest of the time is healthy.
Kids and eating desserts
Parents usually misunderstand that desserts are harmful for their kids and that they should forbid their kids from eating simple desserts. Parents also worry that their children will take too much sugar through sweets and desserts. But, unfortunately almost every food, except meat, contains sugar. Children need sugar to grow up.
The most important thing is to let your children eat healthy food in general and there is no worry in letting them eat the simple desserts from time to time. Especially, if you make healthy desserts for kids at home which don’t contain ingredients such as corn syrup or hydrogenated fat.
Simple school healthy desserts for kids
Crackers and some kinds of granola bars might be unhealthy for children. Calcium is very important for children and food that contains calcium can be great healthy snack and desert.
You can offer those healthy shacks to your children as simple desserts when they are in school and be sure they’ve eaten something healthy.
Some ideas for healthy school simple desserts:
- Homemade muffins
- All kinds of fresh fruit
- Homemade granola bars
- Small packages of dried apricots or raisins
- Small packages of nuts, walnuts or almonds.
Simple homemade healthy desserts for kids
When you are at home you can make simple and healthy desserts for your kids. They will love it and you will be satisfied that you kids ate something good. Desserts could be also used to make your children eat some food they maybe don’t like or are not fond of, but is necessary for their development, such as milk and cereals.
Healthy desserts for kids don’t have to contain plain sugar or eggs. So, they can be offered to kids with food allergies. Some simple desserts are convenient for kids who are allergic to cow milk or eggs.
Other benefit of healthy desserts for kids is that they can contain fruits which are great antioxidants and are important part of child’s diet.
5 Ideas for homemade simple healthy desserts for kids
- 1 package vanilla pudding bought in store that sells healthy organic food
- 600ml soy or cow milk
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- Carob spread
- Put 600ml milk to boil.
- Take a few tablespoons of milk while it’s still cold and mix it with pudding powder and agave syrup.
- When it is relatively stiff, put it in a little bowls to cool down.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of carob spread and put it over the pudding.
Serve this easy sugar free dessert when it cools down.
Simple animal shaped cookies
- 300g non white flour
- 150g butter
- 100g brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla powder
- Mix egg with sugar.
- Add butter and mix again.
- Stir flour with baking powder and vanilla powder.
- Add flour and mix everything together.
- Add water if necessary.
- Knead dough and roll it to be half cm thick
- Use animal shapes to cut cookies.
- Place cookies on oiled pan and bake around 12min on 180C.
Serve this simple dessert when it cools.
- 3 cups oat flakes
- 1 cup non white flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla powder
- 2/3 cup sunflower oil
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- Fruit jam
- Mix flour, oat flakes, baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla powder and salt.
- Add oil and maple syrup.
- Put the half of the mixture on the oiled pan and press with your palms to be firm. It’s better if your hands are wet, that will prevent sticking the mixture to your hands.
- Put some fruit jam on the top and cover it with the remaining mixture.
- Bake for 20min at 180C.
- When it cools cut it in small bars.
Serve this sugar free dessert when it cools. Offer it with warm milk or cocoa.
- 1 small cup fresh raspberries
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons berries jam
- 500ml yoghurt
- Mix fruits with jam.
- Leave it for 15min to rest.
- Combine with yoghurt.
Serve this simple sugar free dessert immediately after preparation.
- 2 cups non white flour
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- Pinch of salt
- Fruit jam
- Mix agave syrup with butter and vanilla powder.
- Add flour and salt and knead to get the dough.
- Leave it in a fridge for an hour to rest.
- Make little buttons and put them into sesame seeds.
- Put some jam in the middle of each cookie.
- Bake in an oiled pan for 15min at 180C.
Serve this easy dessert when it cools. Offer with warm milk, cocoa or tea.
Try some of those delicious, healthy, yet very simple desserts with your children and enjoy some time together.
Buy Now on Amazon!
More by this Author
This is one of those traditional tiramisu recipes I've got from my friend from Italy. Actually, the best tiramisu recipe for easy tiramisu.
If you want to try the original lemon meringue pie recipe, you will enjoy this one for sure. Try also three types of meringue - French, Italian and Swiss meringue. Have you ever eaten the real, traditional and...
Learn how to use breathing techiniques, breathing exercises and relaxation techniques while giving birth to your baby. Breating is very important during natural childbirth and can help you feel less pain and be more...