How To Make Homemade English Muffins
How To Make English Muffins
Making English muffins is not as difficult as it may sound and the result is delicious if you follow the steps.
The most important factor in any yeast endeavor is the temperature of the liquid added to the yeast. It must be correct to enhance the yeast formation so always use a candy thermometer to get the temperature right.
The temperature at which you proof your bread is also vital. I use an oven thermometer and first heat the oven to its lowest temperature, then allow to drop to 75-80 degrees. I then allow my bread to proof in the oven.
By following those 2 rules, you can create wonderful homemade yeast masterpieces with a minimum of effort.
For variety, try the crumpets recipe as well - while both have their origins in England, they each have a unique texture and taste all their own though their usage is interchangeable.
English Muffin Recipe
Makes 18 muffins
- 1 cup milk (I use nonfat)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons or 1 packet of active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees)
- 1/4 cup melted shortening (or margarine, butter or oil)
- 6 cups flour (divided - 3 cups/3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- Heat the milk in a saucepan until it bubbles and then remove from the heat. This is scalding the milk.
- Add sugar and stir until it dissolves.
- Let cool until lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a small bowl. Let stand until creamy - about 10 minutes.
- Combine milk and sugar mixture, yeast mixture, shortening/oil/butter and 3 cups of the flour. Beat this until smooth.
- Add salt and 3 cups of flour or enough to make a soft dough.
- Knead until smooth - 5-10 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl or bowl sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cover with towel and let rise in warm oven (75-80 degrees) until doubled.
- Punch dough down.
- Roll out to 1/2-inch thickness. Use a biscuit cutter, drinking glass or empty tuna can to cut out rounds.
- On waxed paper or parchment paper, sprinkle cornmeal and set the rounds on this to rise further.
- Sprinkle/dust lightly the tops of the muffins with cornmeal.
- Cover and let rise again 1/2 hour.
- Heat a greased griddle or large skillet.
- Cook muffins on the griddle about 10 minutes on each side.
- Keep cooked muffins warm until all have been cooked.
- Allow to cool then and place them in plastic containers or bags until used.
- Split and toast.
There are several variations of this recipe
available; this one was primarily from allrecipes.com but you can also
make English muffins using crumpet or flan rings. See links for other
English Muffin and Muffin Hubs
- Quick, Easy, Yummy MUFFINS Today
Muffins are really like cupcakes, only not as sweet as cake and often served as a breakfast treat. We had muffins on special Sundays as a child, when mom was feeling really good or when she would let us bake...
- Healthy Recipes: Oatmeal Muffins (Two Recipes)
Many years ago, in fact in the late 1970s, we were living in Michigan and I was a very young miss. I was just starting out with our first son, Jonathan and I was also starting my illustrious cooking career! ...
- English muffin recipie
When I moved to Asia I didn't spare a thought for what I would miss. I miss the strangest things. English muffins are one of the things that I miss then I bought the magazine
- Thomas Hearty Grain English Muffins - A Great Heart ...
While browsing the store looking for a healthy alternative, I came across Thomas Hearty Grains Muffins. I have tried a number of
- English Muffins - Make Your Own English Muffins
English Muffins are a tasty breakfast treat easily made. Mix the dough in the evening and let it rise overnight. The second rise is only 20 minutes. Follow the recipe below. You may need to make adjustments...
- Great Party Recipes: English Muffin Mini Pizzas
Planning a party can be fun but intimidating. I personally do not recommend a sit down dinner event for more than four or six guests, unless that's the designated activity and plan for the evening. It can be...
- Make Healthy Gourmet Sandwiches With Leftover Meat A...
Now you can eat the best, hot, muffin sandwiches and smile in complete satisfaction. Avoid the drive-thru because you can make these sandwiches from scratch in the time it takes to stop for fast food. No need...
Buy Here On Amazon
More English Muffin Recipes
More by this Author
How to make a fantastic loaf of French bread from scratch.
I originally found this idea in a 2009 Cooking Light magazine but since then, I've used it several ways and made several adjustments to it as suggested below. However, the fact stands that the dough recipe itself...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE2
I learned the hard way not to put an ice pack directly on my skin. Here's how to treat ice burns quickly, and how to avoid them as well.