Five Great Macaroni and Cheese Dishes
A Dish Loved By Young and Old
Everyone loves "Mac and Cheese." It usually ranks high on lists of ultimate comfort foods, and recipes abound for it. It is also widely available in boxes, with sprinkle on, bright orange cheese powder, or squeeze on, foil packeted cheese sauce.
Kids actually seem to often prefer the boxed version. Adults usually like it homemade, and fattening. Either way is good though, and homemade does not always have to mean extra fat.
Try these five varied comforting recipes.
Pasta and Cheese
Crockpot Macaroni and Cheese
This recipe is popular to bring to "potluck" gatherings in Southern U.S.A.
- 8 oz. box elbow macaroni
- 1 lb. sharp cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 lg. can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 stick butter or margarine
- salt and pepper as desired
- Spray crockpot with cooking spray.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain and put into crockpot.
- Grate cheese, and add to macaroni in crockpot.
- Beat eggs and milk together and add to crockpot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with pieces of butter or margarine.
- Cook in crockpot on low for 4 hours.
Cook Pasta only to "al Dente" for Best Results
- Cooking Perfect Pasta, How To Cook Perfect Pasta, Pasta Hints, Pata Tips, Pasta Etiquette
Cooking Perfect Pasta, How To Cook Perfect Pasta, Pasta Hints, Pata Tips, Pasta Etiquette
White Macaroni and Cheese
As I mentioned earlier, kids seem to like the bright orange stuff, but we adults can appreciate the more refined white cheese casseroles.
- 8 oz. pk. small macaroni shells
- 1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook macaroni as directed and drain. Pour into casserole dish.
- Combine cheeses in bowl, then add to macaroni in casserole dish.
- Bake covered at 350 for 30 min. Uncover and return to oven to brown for 5 min.
Southwestern Mac and Cheese
- 8 oz. pk. bowtie macaroni
- 1 cup Salsa of choice
- 8 oz. velveeta cheese (cubed)
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1/2 cup crushed corn chips
- Cook macaroni as directed, and drain.
- Combine cheeses, salsa, and margarine in bowl. Add macaroni to cheese, and mix.
- Pour into greased casserole dish. Bake covered at 350 for 30 min.
- Uncover, and top with chips. Bake uncovered for 5 min.
Impossible Mac "n" Cheese Pie
This recipe is from the "Bisquick Cookbook." General Mills, Inc. Published by Wiley Publishing.
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Bisquick
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 2 eggs
- Cook macaroni for approx. 5 min. in boiling water and drain.
- Grease 9 inch pie plate. Place macaroni in pie plate.
- Sprinkle with 1 3/4 cup of the cheese.
- Stir remaining ingredients until blended. Pour into pie plate.
- Bake at 400 for 25 to 30 min. or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake 2 min. longer. Let stand 5 min. before serving.
Betty Crocker Macaroni and Cheese
This recipe is a classic mac recipe. It is from the "Betty Crocker Online Cookbook". This cookbook can be downloaded to your ipod or iphone free. It has tons of good recipes.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded or cubed sharp Cheddar cheese
- Cook and drain macaroni as directed.
- Melt margarine in 3 quart saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, mustard, and worcestershire sauce.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 min., then add cheese. Stir until melted. Spoon into greased casserole dish. Bake in preheated 350 oven uncovered for 20 to 25 min. or until hot in center.
Betty Crocker Online
- Recipes & Cookbooks Food, Cooking Recipes from BettyCrocker.Com
Recipes, cooking ideas, baking tips, and more from BettyCrocker.com
More by this Author
Recently I redid the floor in our spare bedroom. This room had old, stained carpeting. We had been planning on replacing it since we bought our house six years ago. Company coming, and needing to use the room finally...
In a previous hub of mine, I wrote about my faux tile backsplash walls. During the same kitchen remodeling, I also redid my kitchen countertops. I had very little money to spend, so granite, river rock, or stainless...
Baby alligators in a golf course lake. Here in southern USA, we have to share our lakes and rivers. Snapping turtles, manatees, snakes, and alligators, .....all can be found enjoying the sunshine. Alligators are...