Gobi Manchurian Is Indian-Chinese Fusion Food
Gobi Manchurian is a cauliflower dish made very interesting and flavorful with spices of different kinds. The dish comes from a fusion of two cultures and cuisines, specifically Chinese and East Indian. It is a staple dish of of the Indian-Chinese cuisine movement overall and becoming quite popular.
This style of cuisine is a a mix of Chinese flavors and cooking techniques that is appealing to Indian preferences as well. Indian-Chinese cuisine arose in Chinese communities that grew in Calcutta, India over the last century and this fusion cuisine is one of the most popular cuisine styles in India today.
Recently, it has found its way to adjoining nations and into the United States, where Americans are finding it delicious and easy to prepare.
Delicious Cauliflower Spices
Appetizer, serves many. This is also known as Indo-Chinese Cauliflower.
- 1 Cauliflower, separated into pieces
- ¾ Cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp corn flour
- Oil for frying
- 1 Chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tbsp garlic paste or minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp ginger paste or minced ginger
- 1 Cup chopped onions
- 2 Tbsp each of soy sauce, tomato catsup, and olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a bowl with a little water, prepare a paste with the flour, corn flour, and salt.
- Add 1/2 tsp of ginger and garlic paste and mix well.
- Dip cauliflower pieces into paste.
- Fry dipped cauliflower until evenly golden brown. Drain on a paper towel.
- In another fryng pan over medium heat, warm 2 Tbsp olive oil and add remaining ginger and garlic paste, the chopped onions, and the chili pepper. Stir.
- Add the soy sauce and tomato sauce, stir, and add the fried cauliflower, Stir to mix.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
This is an alternative cauliflower receipt that includes a variation of spicy flavors.
Side Dish: 4-6 servings
- 1 Large head of cauliflower, separated into peices of a few florets each
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Any coarse salt to taste - Kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 Cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 Cup capers, drained
- 2-3 Garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 tsp chile pepper flakes
- Thin sliced pickled peppers of your choice
Place a metal strainer over a bowl and set them aside on the counter.
In a large skillet, pour 1/2-inch oil and heat over high heat just beginning to smoke.
Put the cauliflower in and cook quicky on high heat until brown.
Reduce heat immediately to medium-high and cook until well browned evenly on all sides.
Season with salt,add parsley, capers, and garlic and cook until the garlic is brown.
Add chile flakesand stir.
Remove the skillet fomr the from heat and drain the cauliflower into the strainer. Drain thoroughly, taste, re-season, and add pepper rings.
*Gobi Ki Sabzi*
This is the Indian side dish that is hot and spicy and uses mustard seeds.
- 5 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Mustard seeds
- A 1-inch piece of ginger root, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 White onion (mild, Spanish, etc.), peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 Green chilli pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 Large head of Cauliflower, washed and broken into florets
- 1 tsp salt or to tast
- Juice of 1/2 a fresh lemon - some cooks prefer lime
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, warm olive oil.
- Add in the the mustard seeds, sire, and reduce the heeat to medium. Cover the pot and listen for the seeds to stop spattering.
- Uncover and add ginger slices, onions,turmeric, and green chilli; stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and salt and mix. .
- Sprinkle in the lemon juice evenly, cover, and lower heat to "low."
- Cook 15 -20 minutes or until vegestable is crisp-tender.
- Place into a serving bowl and garnish with chopped cilantro or chopped green onions.
This recipe is for a Chinese cauliflower side dish. It contains garlic and ginger, but you might add a chopped chilli pepper for additional heat.
- Half a head of cauliflower, washed and dried
- 1/2 Cup snow peas
- 2 Tbsp peanut oil
- 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 Cup hot vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce (substitute soy sauce if necessary). If you'd like to make your own oyster sauce, see: Oyster Sauce Recipes.
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cornstarch for thickening
- Break the cauliflower into florets.
- Heat the oil in a deep skillet or a wok and stir fry the garlic and ginger together until fragrant.
- Add in the cauliflower and snow peas; stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Heat stock, add oyster sauce and salt to the stock and pour into the vegetables mix.
- Cover cooking vessel and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Mix cornstarch with a couple of tablespoons of water and add to the vegetables; stir and thicken.
- Remove from stove top and serve with steamed or fried rice.
*Spicy Cauliflower Soup*
A final recipe for spicy cauliflower in this presentation is for a spicy soup.
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Carrot, cleaned and chopped
- 1 tsp each of coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground red pepper
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Large head cauliflower,washed and chopped
- 3 Cups each of vegetable stock and spring water
- Pour oil into a heavy soup pot and heat over over medium heat.
- Pour in onions, carrots, coriander, cumin, chili powder, turmeric, red pepper, salt, and pepper and stir.
- Cook over medium heat 20 minutes and stir every few minutes.
- Watch for the vegetables to brown lightly.
- Add cauliflower, cilantro, stock, and water and stir.
- Raise the heat to “high” and bring to the boil.
- Lower heat to aboot medium-low and cook about 40 minutes uncovered or until cauliflower becames very tender, but not mushy.
- You can serve the soup chuncky, but for a smooth soup, pour it into a blender and puree it. Add more stock if too thick. Re-season if needed and serve. Garnich with chopped cilantro.
More by this Author
Pickling Meat is a way of curing and preserving different types of meats and was developed before the days of refrigeration or easy access to ice to keep meats cold.
This accompaniment is served in a portion of Chicago area diners that specialize in vegetarian foods. A recipe and links to vegetarian Chcago diners is included, along with video tours.
Since 2010, news from BLOOMBERG BUSINESSWEEK has been that Canada and Australia were little touched by The Great Recession. New jobs continue to increase.