Have a Happy Lasagna Day with an easy vegetarian lasagna
What did you think?
It's Lasagna Day!
It's Lasagna Day - July 29. I don't know who was the genius to come up with this, but he was, well....., a genius! You can treat your lady friend or your Sweet Baboo to a very nice easy to make, no mistakes lasagna in no time, even if you are a complete amateur cook. You may have ingredients left over after you fill up the casserole. I usually put them in a smaller dish and make an emergency lasagna I can freeze and eat later after everyone's gone to bed. Thank heavens for the microwave.
- Box Lasagna noodles, You can get no-boil noodles, but regular ones work fine
- Large jar Spaghetti sauce, Something with chunky veggies
- Medium carton Cottage cheese, Any kind
- Small can Olives, Chopped
- 1 pound Mozarella Cheese, Shredded
- Jar Parmesan Cheese, Grated
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 1 Green Pepper, Chopped
- Small jar Mushrooms, Sliced
Preparation is Simple!
- Chop up all the veggies and lay them on the counter in little piles
- Open the spaghetti sauce, cottage cheese, olives and mushrooms
- Grate up the mozzarella cheese if you didn't buy it already grated. You can use provolone in here too if you want to mix it up a little. Pile the cheese on the counter near the rest of the stuff.
- Set out a glass casserole dish (about 9x12 for a good sized lasagna). Begin to layer the ingredients in the dish.
- Lay in a layer of lasagna noodles on the bottom. They can be cooked or stiff as a board right out of the box. Uncooked they will be a little more al dente' when the lasagna is done and, no, you still don't have to know what al dente' means.
- On top of the noodles, layer cottage cheese, spaghetti sauce, mozzarella, chopped veggies, olives and mushrooms, a generous sprinkle of Parmesan, then another layer of noodles.
- Repeat with another layer of noodles, cottage cheese, sauce, cheese, veggies and Parmesan. Make the layers fairly thin, but generous. Keep going till you fill up the casserole dish. Top with grated cheese, olives and Parmesan cheese. Now you're ready to cook it.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 350° till the top is starting to brown and the cheese to bubble. Remove, slice up into squares and serve while hot.
More by this Author
Looking to cut the red meat out of your diet. Going vege? Here's an old Chinese substitute for meat you can make at home economically.
You can substitute oatmeal for meat in your meals, lower your grocery costs and fight cholesterol at the same time with a delicious main dish made from humble oatmeal. Who'd have guessed?
Actually I’m from North Central Texas, but I lived more than a decade in East Texas which is like a separate country within Texas. They say that the Ft. Worth is where the West begins. Well I grew up on the line....
No comments yet.