Herb Roasted Parsnips Recipe - How to Roast Parsnips
Parsnips are fantastic. These sweet and nutty vegetables make their appearance over the winter months and if they’re not a part of your kitchen repertoire – they should be.
You can prepare parsnips in any number of ways, but few preparation methods can beat roasted parsnips – roasting really enhances the complex sweetness of this flavorful root vegetable.
In case you’re wondering, parsnips look pretty much just like white carrots.
Herb Roasted Parsnips (for about 4 side dish servings)
- 1 pound of parsnips, peeled and cut into wedges that are about ¾ thick at the bottom.
- 3 Tbls of olive oil (pr you can use vegetable oil if preferred)
- About 1 Tbls of minced fresh herbs or 1 tsp of dried herbs. Herbs that work well here include thyme, sage and rosemary
- Salt and pepper
Parsnip Roasting Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 400
- On a baking sheet, drizzle the oil over the parsnip wedges and toss on the chopped herbs. Toss the parsnip wedges around a bit to make sure they are evenly covered in oil.
- Sprinkle salt and freshly cracked black pepper over the parsnips
- Transfer the pan to your pre-heated oven and cook for 40 minutes, or until the parsnips have browned slightly on the outside and are creamy soft on the inside.
- Taste and add more salt if necessary
These are perfect served beside roast beef.
- When buying parsnips, try to avoid the really monster looking big ones, as they can have woody stems and are generally tougher all over – small to medium sized parsnips are your best bet. If you have larger parsnips, cut out the woody core.
- You can add a lot of visual interest to this dish by mixing an equal part carrots to the parsnips. Carrots and parsnips can be roasted together ( they will cook in a similar time) and the flavors that work well with carrots will also work well with parsnips.
Honey Roasted Parsnips
Side Dish Recipes
- 10 Boiled Potato Recipes - 10 Easy Variations for Ta...
10 easy variations on everyday boiled potatoes
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes 10 Variations
Easy instructions for making mashed sweet potatoes plus 10 flavor variations.
- Crispy Oven Roasted Smashed New Potatoes (Recipe). T...
Crunchy and golden, oven roasted smashed potatoes. These are good eating!
Comments 1 comment
More by this Author
Understand the differences between Insta Cure #1 and #2. Learn which you need to use to make bacon, ham, or sausage.
A lot of people have trouble with meat. They like the idea of a great steak, and they have a general notion that the more expensive the steak, the better it is…but more than that…who knows?! I...
Before the invention of oil thermometers, cooks figured out simple ways to check oil temperature for safe deep frying. Now those secret tricks can be yours!