How to Grill Artichokes
Globe artichokes may look intimidating to some cooks. They are really very simple to cook, and taste exceptionally good right off the grill with a garlic aioli dipping sauce. Grilled artichokes are an excellent starter or appetizer. Prepare them on the grill before cooking the main course, and serve to your guests while the steaks are sizzling.
- Select artichokes that have tight leaves, and feel heavy for the size. The leaves should be green, not brown or discolored, and not split.
- Trim the stem close to the base. Then, split the artichoke from top to bottom.
- Even though you will be grilling the artichokes, they take a long time to cook. Steaming them prior to putting the chokes on the grill will give you better results. Place the halved artichokes in a cast iron dutch oven in about one inch of water. Cover and place on the grill over medium heat. Allow them to cook for at least thirty minutes. Cooking time will vary depending on temperature of the coals, and the size of the artichokes. Test for doneness by pulling on a leaf. If it removes fairly easily the artichokes are ready to be grilled. (This can be done on the stove top, or in a 425F oven as well.)
- Remove the artichokes from the dutch oven and drain any water out. Lightly drizzle each side of the artichoke with extra virgin olive oil, and season lightly with sea salt.
- Grill the artichokes on both sides, until char marks form. Remove from the heat and serve with garlic aioli for dipping.
- How to Make a Classic Aioli | eHow.com
Aioli,or garlic mayonnaise, is usually served at room temperature. This roasted garlic aioli recipe is egg free. In France, it is a traditional accompaniment to seafood and croutons. It is also an...
More by this Author
Aioli pizza, or white pizza, has a flavor entirely different than traditional pies made with a tomato sauce. Aioli is a garlic mayonnaise. While you could add roasted garlic to mayonnaise to make this recipe, I prefer a...
With several grapevines growing in our yard, we typically have more than we can use in the season. The grape harvest doesn't last that long. Most of them ripen at just about the same time. And, they have to be picked as...
When I was growing up, a special treat was a burger at Bob's Big Boy. It is still one of my favorite memories from my childhood. Unfortunately, Bob's Big Boy closed, and took their burgers with them. After searching and...