How to make Ice Box Biscuits | The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book
(Muffins for my English Friends)
This is a recipe from "The Cupboard Drawer" given by my dear Aunt Flo, Mrs. Florence Leachman. She was my Grandmothers sister, and was born at the turn of the 20th Century. So she marveled at the world of ‘Modern Appliances’ (which included pre-refrigerator, pre-electric Ice Boxes). She was a special Aunt who had the rare quality of making a 6 year old boy feel like his opinion counted as an equal. The benefit of this Old School recipe is that you can mix the love into them on the weekend and have warm homemade biscuits with dinner all week long. So put on an Apron, and throw yourself back, and enjoy….
¾ Cup plus 2 tbsp Shortening (Crisco preferred)
1 Cup Boiling Water
1 Cup Cold Water
1 tsp Salt
½ Cup Granulated Sugar
6 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 ea Yeast Cakes (modern equiv = 2 envelopes)
- Dissolve the yeast in a little lukewarm water (use just enough to dissolve) set aside
- In a small bowl beat the eggs until the whites and the yolks are well mixed, set aside
- In a large bowl sift the Flour, Salt, and Sugar, set aside
- In another large bowl pour the Boiling Water over the Shortening and mix well until thoroughly melted, add the Cold Water, Eggs, Yeast, and Dry Mixture, mix well with you hands.
- Store in the Refrigerator until ready to use (This will keep a long time in the fridge thus, Ice Box Biscuits)
- Drop Dough by Teaspoonfuls in Muffin pans, Cover with a kitchen towel and allow dough to rise for 4 hrs
- Preheat Oven to 350 deg
- Bake for 12 mins or until Golden tops
Triple Top Alternative
- Instead of dropping teaspoons full divide the portion into three parts and roll into small balls and drop three into the muffin pan pocket allow to raise and cook as above. Gives a ‘Pro’ Look to the Biscuits.
Yield approx 6 dozen
More by this Author
An adult only version of Twas the Night before Christmas, retitled "Twas the Night Before X-mas" Great adult party poem keeping in the seasons lighter side...Twas the night before x-mas; And all through the...
Here are a few of the $100K jobs available.. Jobs are in US Government locations overseas., Potential 100K+ during periods of deployment,
Easy diet dinner basics that can be used for 36 different meals off just these ingredients. A great set of night time diet recipes for less than 500 calories per meal. Pretty simple weight loss idea, as for the food Do...