How to make crepes
Delicious, simple crepes!
This is a delicious crêpe recipe which has been in my family for a while which is simple to make and turns out scrumptious crêpes every time!
Crêpes are not like traditional pancakes! They are a light, elegantly thin, delicate tasting pancake that enhances the flavour of the filling or topping with which it is served. Crêpes can be used as a main course if prepared with a savory filling or they can be served as dessert with sweet fillings or toppings.
Crepes are also a very convenient meal that can be prepared ahead and heated in the microwave before serving. (Do not overheat and avoid over-filling so the fillings remain inside)
Delicious and easy Crêpes
1 cup milk 1/2 cup water
3 eggs 1/4 tsp salt
1 cup flour 2 tbs sugar
2 tbs melted butter
- In a bowl, combine the milk, eggs, water, butter, sugar, flour and salt.
- Blend them until smooth.
- Cover mixing bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one - two hours.
- Stir batter vigorously before using.
You will need the following items:
7-8 inch flat crêpe pan or flat frying pan
1/4 cup vegetable oil (in a small bowl)
1 potato cut in half
soup ladle and spatula
- Take a raw potato, wash it and cut it in half width-wise.
- Using the newly cut portion of the potato, dip it in vegetable oil (it will spread just the right amount of oil needed on the pan to prevent the crepe from sticking without making it greasy)
- Heat pan to medium-high heat and when hot, brush with the potato and oil.
- Using the ladle take approx. 1/4 cup of the batter and pour into hot pan.
- Tilt the pan or spread the liquid batter evenly over the hot pan.
- Cook for about 1 minute and using the spatula, carefully flip the crêpe and cook on other side until done.
- Pile crêpes one on top of another until batter is completely used.
Although crêpes may be eaten plain or served with syrup, they are usually served with a variety of fillings ranging from the simple to the extremely complex! Here are a few delicious suggestions to tempt your imagination.
- Cheese and ham
- Asparagus and bechamel sauce
- Fried onions and ham
- Smoked salmon and bechamel sauce
- Berries (any berries in season) and whipped cream
- Fruits (fresh fruits in season are best) and ice cream
- Nutella (for added nutrition include a sliced banana or strawberries)
- Lemon and sugar (fold crepe, squirt some lemon juice and sprinkle with sugar)
- Brown sugar and butter
Enjoy this easy recipe and let your imagination wander... you may very well find that your 'creations' are sensational !!!!
More by this Author
In 1999 I was a teacher and young mother with a 2 yr old daughter and a 4 yr old son at home. Routinely, in the spring, my voice would give out and I would come down with laryngitis. I always put it down to a hazard of...
The lucky bamboo plant, or Dracaena sanderiana, is a lovely addition to any home. Learn how to keep it healthy and algae-free.