How to prepare Raw Gingerbread Cookies
Eating a raw diet is not only healthy but adventurous. During the holidays you don’t want to miss out on your favourite childhood and classic treats. My favourite treat anytime and especially during Christmas is gingerbread men. During a 14 day Raw Food Culinary Art Program I was amazed to find out that even raw foodies can have gingerbread goodies.
Now, I have a healthy and easy way to make gingerbread treats.
This recipe is for gingerbread energy balls, but with a quick modification, raw gingerbread cookies are now part of our new holiday “unbaking”. This will make approximately 20 gingerbread delights.
For Raw Gingerbread cookies you will need
· 2 Cups of sunflower seeds (not soaked)
· 3 tablespoons of fresh ginger (chopped)
· 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
· ¾ teaspoon of ground cloves
· Dash of sea salt
· 1 cup of dates (measure after removing pits)
· 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
* Process sunflower seeds, ginger, cinnamon, ground cloves and sea salt until seeds are very small.
* Add dates and lemon to mixture in food processor, and process until mixture is smooth and starts to clump together.
* Roll in to 1 – 1 ¼ “ balls and place on plate
* With a fork, flatten down into a cookie
* Sprinkle cinnamon on top
* We’ve also used a gingerbread man cookie cutter; you have to be gentle placing the figures onto the plate to set in the fridge. With raw carob nibs decorate with eyes and buttons. Be creative and use your imagination, it was fun and is fun to play with raw food and recipes.
* Store in fridge for 30 to 45 minutes to set and enjoy!
You can store in fridge to keep fresh and will keep for up to three weeks. Store in the freezer for longer and an extra fresh gingerbread treat.
More by this Author
Fog Further into the slide of doom my thoughts linger with the fog of the morning tide - I think I made you up as...
Writing is more than just putting words together to create a different world. Creativity is a way of life - sometimes you have to step out of the and let creativity take over.
Trust and faith are part of your creative life and persistence helps as well. Creativity wants to work through you and at some point you have to step a side to let imagination take over.