Leftover Turkey Mashed Potato Pie
What To Do With Holiday Leftovers?
Well, Thanksgiving has come and gone in my country, Canada, and I want to share my recipe that I used for our leftovers this year. We had a quiet year this year. My husband was working and so had our meal after his twelve-hour shift. Even though it was only the two of us this year, I still decided to cook the traditional turkey dinner with turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and gravy.
The dilemma, though, is what to do with the leftovers. With only two people in the house now, a whole turkey is quite a bit of food! And freezing it all just seemed kind of boring, so I came up with a delicious recipe to use a big part of the leftover turkey, dressing, mashed potato and gravy. The concoction is a combination of turkey pie and shepherd's pie and I think you will find it quite scrumptious.
Recipe for Pie
RECIPE FITS INTO 12" x 6" BAKING PAN
NOTE: This recipe is my version based on my leftovers but feel free to modify it according to what you have left over. The two most important left over ingredients are the turkey and the mashed potatoes. You need to have enough turkey to cover the bottom of the pan and enough of the mashed potatoes to cover the turkey mixture. Other than that, play with it and make it your own.
- 3 stalks celery
- 6-7 mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cans mushroom soup
- 4 cups leftover turkey
- 6 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup leftover stuffing
- 1 cup leftover gravy
- A pinch of thyme, basil, pepper
- Chop up celery, mushroom and garlic into small pieces.
- Fry vegetables for approx. 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Chop up leftover turkey into bite-sized pieces. You may include skin or not, according to your preference.
- Mix together turkey, vegetables and mushroom soup. Blend well.
- Fold in leftover stuffing and gravy to turkey. Mix and add spices.
- Spread turkey mix over the bottom of the baking pan.
- Take leftover mashed potatoes and spread over the turkey mix. Cover well
- Cover your baking pan with tin foil. Cook for twenty minutes with foil. Then remove foil.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes altogether. Check. Meat should be simmering under the potato cover.
- Remove and let cool. WARNING: May lead to overeating.
© 2011 Sharilee Swaity
More by this Author
Scrambled eggs deluxe. An absolutely delicious recipe made with eggs, cheese, and a ton of vegetables. This recipe is crunchy, spicy and delicious!
The best blueberry smoothie to drink for weight loss, made from a combination of powerhouse ingredients.
This article give ten mistakes that people make when dealing with a workplace bully, based on the author's own experiences. She shares the mistakes she made, with the hope of helping others not to do the same.