One recipe makes three cakes zucchini, carrot or apple
Your choice: zucchini, carrot or, apple
Carrot / zucchini cake
3 Cakes from 1 Recipe
Keep this recipe handy, and it will adapt with the seasons. Bake extras when you have too much zucchini or too many apples. Bake. Cool. Do not frost. Freeze. You will always have a cake handy when you want one.
Yes, the recipe really calls for 4 (four) cups of zucchini, carrots, or apples. It is a beautiful cake with flecks of both zucchini and carrots. You can add another half cup of sugar for a sweeter cake.
This recipe makes two 8" square cakes. I make one and share one. Or make one, freeze one. I have a small family and a big cake is too much temptation.
Assemble dry ingredients
- 4 cups zucchini, carrots, or apple, grated or shredded
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts, your choice, pecans, walnuts
- ½ cup raisins, optional
- Grate zucchini, peel and grate carrots, or core, peel and grate apples. Set aside to drain in a colander or on paper towels.
- Preheat oven 350°. Grease and flour two 8” square pans.
- Sift together flour, spices, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In the mixing bowl, cream sugar and eggs.
- Add oil, blend. Spoon in dry ingredients, about ½ cup at a time until thoroughly mixed.
- Stir in the apples, carrots, or zucchini. Stir in the nuts and raisins (optional)
- The cake is moist and does not need frosting. But who can pass up cream cheese frosting?
- Pour in two 8” square pans, bake 30-35 minutes. Use one 9x13, bake 35-40 minutes.
Make it your own
Make this recipe your signature cake. Add you own "secret ingredient" such as:
- Add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips to any of the cakes.
- Include 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger or allspice
- Substitute ½ of the oil with applesauce.
- Choose any combination of zucchini, carrot or apple. I like half zucchini and half carrot for a beautiful cake.
- Add 1 cup of black walnuts and raisins to the apple cake.
- Use one 9x13 pan, bake 35-40 minutes.
Cream cheese frosting
OK, If it is your birthday, or you successfully completed all your workouts or walks this week:
4 ounces butter, room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Beat butter and cream cheese until combined.
Slowly, mix in powdered sugar, one cup at a time.
Stir in vanilla.
Make it your own recipe
Zest an orange to top frosting. Replace vanilla with orange flavoring
Chocolate is always a good choice
More decadent desserts
More rich and decadent desserts
- One Dozen Decadent Double Chocolate Cookies. The darker the cocoa, the darker the cookies.
- Chocolate bark and chocolate covered strawberries. A dark chocolate specialty.
- Chocolate zucchini cake. Bake two chocolate zucchini cakes in heart shaped pans.
- One recipe makes three cakes: zucchini, carrot or apple cake. 3 in 1 super easy cake recipe.
Preparing the cake pans
Bakers Secret is a handy convenience product. Maybe you prefer pure butter and pasty flour. You don't have to use flour.
Dust the sprayed or buttered baking pans with white sugar, cocoa, powdered sugar, even fine corn meal.
More by this Author
Celebrate the grand garden season finale. Here are some faster, space-saving methods to harvest and store garden produce at its best.
Quick, grab a handful of herbs before the big frost, Gather fresh herbs before the winter sweeps them away. A fast and favorite way to preserve garden-fresh herbs.
Keep sidewalks and driveways weed-free all summer. Try these simple and safe remedies as weed and grass killers.