POPULAR BENGALI CUISINE
The popular Bengal cuisine originated from the state of West Bengal in India. People residing in West Bengal are generally well known as Bengalis. But eventually with time and urge for earning daily bread and butter Bengalis are noted in all corners of the world. Bong people are mostly foodie and specialized in river water fish cuisines and sweets. The main reason that differentiates Bengali cuisine from fresh cuisine is the aroma of the spices. There is a technique to add appropriate spices which make the Bengali dishes unique in its own way. Rice is the staple food and milk based desserts are a treat to your tongue.
If you are a foodie and wish to attempt the well-known Bengali cuisine then try out these authentic popular menu which will surely make you enjoy the delicacy of this cuisine.
1. HILSA or ILISH MACH bhapa(steamed HILSA fish): The dish is prepared with a paste of mustard seeds and green chilies soaked in mustard oil then wrapped in banana leaf and put on a steamer to cook.
2. DABB CHINGRI(Prawns cooked inside tender coconut): Prawns marinade with mustard seed paste, green chilies and mustard oil are poured inside the tender coconut. Then coconut is sealed with wheat dough and put directly on firewood until the skin of the coconut gets burn. The technique is old but the authentic way of preparing makes it a rare delicacy of the Bengali cuisine.
3. KOSHA MANGSO (DRY CHICKEN): Kosha mangsho is nothing but chicken cooked with onion, ginger, garlic, gram masala in the frying pan. The technique is to cook on a low heat until all the ingredients soaked all the spices and the chicken turns tender.
4. LUCHI( fried flat bread): It’s a round small flat bread which is deep fried and it mostly serves as a breakfast or evening snacks item.
5. AALO POSTO (Pottato with poppy seeds): Pottato prepared with poppy seeds and green chili paste are the ultimate delicacy of Bengali cuisine.
6. ICHAR (JACK FRUIT CURRY): Amazing preparation of tender jack fruit with spices that almost tastes like mutton curry is a very popular Bengali dish.
7. CHOLLAR DAL(Lentil): Chollar Dal is a fried pulses which is mostly sweet in taste and it is prepared with grated coconut and raisins.
8. BEGUN BHAJA(Eggplant): Fried Eggplants which are often served with plain rice and dal is a very famous starter for any occasion.
9. GURER PAYESH(Jaggary milk and rice sweet dish): The key ingredient of this Bengali sweet dish is milk boiled with rice and date jaggary. The milk is boiled till the rice is fully cooked with added date jaggary that gives a yummy creamy taste.
10. RASOGULLA(Cottage Sweet): Rasogulla is a very popular Bengali desert which is famous worldwide. It is made of fresh cottage cheese sweet balls and then dipped into the sugar syrup.
11. SANDESH(Sweet): Sandesh is another well-known desert of the Bengalis made from fresh cottage cheese which is mixed along with sugar or jaggary.
Though it is not justifiable to list the food habit of an entire Bengali region but the highlighted popular dish is worth to taste for a foodie.
No comments yet.