Pasta, pesto and green bean recipe: vegetarian main course
If you are looking for a quick vegetarian meal, this pasta and bean dish is very tasty, and only takes around 20 minutes to prepare. It has a great mixture of textures and flavours, with soft pasta, sweet and crispy shallots, squeaky green beans and the subtle flavour of green pesto. The following recipe serves two people.
- 8 oz (250 g) pasta twists
- 2 to 3 shallots
- 4 oz (125 g) fresh French (or green) beans
- 1/2 jar of green pesto sauce
- A little olive oil
- Parmesan or grated cheese of your choice
- Top and tail the green beans and slice into pieces about 2 inches long. Cook in boiling water for up to 10 minutes or until just cooked. Soggy beans are not so good in this recipe, it's nice if they still have a little "bite".
- Cook the pasta in boiling water - pasta twists are fairly quick, usually about 8 to 10 mins until soft
- Chop the shallots quite finely and fry in the olive oil until crispy and brown
- Drain the pasta and beans well, and mix in the pesto sauce, then the fried shallots
- Serve and sprinkle with cheese - fresh Parmesan is best if you can get it, but cheddar or any other tasty hard cheese will do.
This is one of my favourite quick suppers, and I think it goes down rather well with a nice light Italian red wine such as Valpolicella or Chianti. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
What do you think?
More recipes from this author
- Home-made tomato and basil sauce
A quick, easy to follow recipe for tomato and basil sauce using fresh tomatoes and basil. Great for a quick supper and for using up home-grown tomatoes.
- Bolognese-style spaghetti sauce: vegetarian recipe
A recipe for delicious vegetarian bolognese-style sauce to serve with spaghetti. It makes a hearty and nutritious main course meal suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
- Bean and vegetable chilli: an easy vegetarian recipe...
Vegetarian chilli makes a great main course and can be served with a variety of accompaniments to suit all tastes. This recipe is very tasty and simple to make.
- The best ways to preserve tomatoes: techniques and r...
Making the most of your home-grown tomatoes: a guide to cooking and preserving tomatoes for use all year round, with some useful recipes.
More by this Author
This is a wholefood recipe for a traditional dish that can be used as a vegetarian main course. It is full of protein and goodness, and uses wholemeal pastry for the crust for a very satisfying and tasty dish. The...
A simple recipe for basic pancake batter, tips for perfect pancakes, and some delicious serving suggestions. A brief history of Pancake Day is included.
This hub explains the role of typesetting in modern publishing, and describes the processes involved.