Roasted Leg of Lamb Recipe
Special holiday or Sunday dinners are a wonderful time to serve roast leg of lamb. There are so many ways one can prepare this delicious meat, and for this recipe I chose to first marinate the leg in a garlic based marinade.
Early in the day or the night before, prepare a marinade mix for the leg of lamb. You will want to marinate it for at least three hours before cooking it in the oven.
- Cooking time listed here is only the actual time that the lamb was in the oven.
- Prep time for the marinade: 15 minutes
- Marinate for at least 3 hours.
Cook Time for a 6 Pound Leg of Lamb (Medium)
Ingredients for Marinade Mix
- 2 large garlic cloves grated or pressed
- 3 Tbs. of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. of lemon juice (I used concentrate)
- 1 Tbs. of Dijon mustard
- 1 Tsp. of dried rosemary
- 1 Tsp. of dried thyme
- 1/4 Tsp. of fresh ground pepper
Instructions for Making the Marinade Mix
- Grate the garlic cloves into a paste, and put into a small bowl.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil to the garlic paste.
- Add the lemon juice and Dijon mustard.
- Grind the rosemary and thyme together then add this to the marinade mix.
- Ground fresh pepper goes into the mix next, whisking all the ingredients together really well.
- If you have little bits of garlic left from grating, chop them up small and whisk into the mix as well.
- Rinse the leg of lamb under cold water and put it either into a marinating dish or a plate.
- With a pairing or small knife make small incisions all over the lamb.
- Brush the marinade mixture over one side of the lamb.
- Flip the leg over and brush the other side.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator until ready to cook.
Preparing marinade for Leg of Lamb
Leg of LambClick thumbnail to view full-size
Oven Roasting Chart for Lamb
Minutes per pound
Let's Get Cooking
- Preheat the oven to 400°F or 204°C.
- Prepare the roasting pan. I always put either carrots or celery underneath the meat that I'm cooking to make clean up a bit easier. A roasting pan with a rack can also be used.
- Place the leg of lamb into the roasting pan and add enough water to the bottom of the pan to almost cover the celery or carrots. If using a rack water should almost hit the rack.
- Cook at 400°F for approximately 15 minutes and then lower the temperature to 350°F or 177°C.
- Continue to cook until your leg of lamb is; rare, medium or well done following the oven roasting chart to the right.
- Remove from the oven and place the lamb on a serving plate covering with foil for ten minutes before carving.
- Slice, serve, and ENJOY!
|Serving size: 85g|
|Calories from Fat||108|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 12 g||18%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Carbohydrates 0 g|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 22 g||44%|
|Cholesterol 72 mg||24%|
|Sodium 54 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Dinner is ready, let's eat!
Sound good? Please rate accordingly
Side dishes to go with the Leg of Lamb
To go along with this dinner I made roasted potatoes, which I added to the roasting pan after lowering the oven temperature to 350°F, steamed fresh asparagus, glazed carrots and a spring mix salad.
Spring Mix Salad
Mint Sauce for Lamb
I don't happen to enjoy mint sauce with my lamb, but for those of you that do it is quite easy to make homemade mint sauce or it can be found at your grocery store.
To make your own simply bring 1 cup of white wine vinegar to a simmer in a saucepan. Add eight tablespoons of sugar along with eight tablespoons of dried mint leaves. Take it off the heat and let it sit for ten minutes. Put it back onto the stove, stir and heat again for a minute. Remove from the stove and let it sit for ten minutes before serving.
Mint sauce can be stored in a glass jar or container for up to 8 months in the refrigerator.
How much do you know about lamb/sheep?
Thank you for visiting and I do hope that you'll try this recipe. If you'd like to read other articles by Just Ask Susan or view more recipes, please view my profile page. Have a great day!
More by this Author
In this easy to follow recipe I've added other ingredients to Zatarain's Jambalaya mix to make it go further and feed more people. Pictures included with recipe.
A broiled lamb dinner recipe complete with asparagus, roasted sweet potatoes, and an arugula salad. Impress your family and or guests with this delicious mouthwatering meal.
Find out how to correct biting, chewing jumping, rough play, begging, barking and digging when your dog has behavioral problems.