Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
Easy to make, easy to manipulate
I first tried a variation of this dip at a work carry-in. My boss made a buffalo chicken dip that was scrumptious, spicy, and superb. Having failed to obtain the recipe from her, I decided -months later- to recreate the recipe on my own. Below is my rendition.
[I have found recipes that are very different from mine. With that said, I figured this out by going for it; not following any guidelines. Feel free to make it work for you, by trying different amounts or ingredients!]
Perfect for football games, fall get-togethers, or just because, Buffalo Chicken Dip is easy to make, but - beware - it disappears faster than you would think!
Here is where you can make this recipe your own. Use your favorite cheese, hot sauce, and/or chicken!
- 8 or 16 ounces cream cheese, softened (however much you would like to use)
- 1 cup Ranch dressing
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I use sharp cheddar cheese)
- 1 1/4 cups hot sauce (I use Frank's original)
- Approximately 10-12 ounces of chicken (I use chicken tenderloins)
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Dash of ground black pepper
- Crackers, celery, or tortilla chips (for dipping)
Feel free to add more of any of the above to your recipe, to vary the consistency and heat. Using the above ingredients makes about 25 servings.
*When I cook, I tend to use what I think sounds right and good, and do taste tests often. If you would like to do the same, start with the cream cheese and build everything else.*
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Multi-task and cook away!
I grill the chicken tenderloins just enough so that the chicken is edible (approximately 4-5 minutes per side). It does not need to be browned, as it will be mixed in with the other ingredients, on a skillet, for a few more minutes.
While the chicken is grilling...
In a medium-sized skillet and with the burner on a medium setting, combine the cream cheese, 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese, hot sauce, and ranch. Stir occasionally to break-up the ingredients (especially the cream cheese), adding a dash of ground cayenne and black pepper.
Once the ingredients have mixed well (the mixture should be an orange-red color and a thick, but soupy consistency), and the chicken is done grilling, shred/thinly-slice the chicken, and turn the stove down to a low setting. Add small handfuls of the shredded/sliced chicken to the mix, stirring while doing so, as well as the other 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
After a few minutes of letting the chicken soak up the yummy flavors of the mix, turn off the stove. Let the dip sit for a moment, as it will be hot, and needs to regain a thicker consistency.
Do not let the dip cool for too long, though, as Buffalo Chicken Dip is best served warm!
It is now ready to serve.
Buffalo Chicken Dip pairs well with celery, carrots, vegetable crackers, baguettes, tortilla chips or shells, mini pitas, flavored breads, or anything else that you can grab, dip, and enjoy!
(I like to make my own tortilla chips to use!)
This dip can be refrigerated and reheated. I would suggest tossing any extra out after 2-3 days.
- Use blue cheese instead of ranch
- Use 2 cans (10 oz.) of chicken chunk, drained, instead of chicken tenderloin (I prefer chicken that is fresh)
- Use chicken-flavored crackers instead of veggie crackers
- Add a pinch of garlic, onions, tomatoes and/or peppers (I've done this & it is fantastic!)
- Use crumbled blue cheese or mozzarella instead of cheddar
- Bake all ingredients together at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes, instead of using a stove top skillet
- Use a cayenne pepper or wing sauce, instead of a normal hot sauce
- Use a spicy cheese (like pepper jack!) instead of cheddar
Buffalo Chicken Dip is a bit spicy. So, if you prefer little-to-no spice, you may not find this dip favorable. However, as previously stated, feel free to make it your own and figure out the best level of heat and best flavor for you!
If you like this article, click the buttons below and/or leave a comment! Thank you!
More by this Author
An overview of a multitude of Irish drinks - beers, shots, and more; something for everyone!
Six yummy alcoholic beverages for adults!
Plenty of suggestions to get the ball rolling! Ideas for groups of all ages and sizes!