Spicy Chicken Fillets With Snow Peas
My Favorite Dish
My mom always have her tricks up to her sleeves in order to get us eat the snow peas which we hated the most.
I remembered once she added our favorite chicken fillets and sum up with a special sauce that had caught us hooked to this Spicy Chicken With Snow Peas for months!
She would throw in some chopped onions, chicken fillets and add in hot bean sauce which was the special sauce that I had been talking about.
Do you like this recipe?
Why do we hate snow peas?
My mom is a lazy chef. She prefers to cook vegetable dishes without picking out the roots, stems or strings.
Eating snow peas with the strings attached is similar to chewing rubber bands in your mouth.
Hence, I always have to help her out to pull out the strings along both sides of the snow peas before cooking time.
At the tip of the snow pea, peel up the string and pull it slowly, downwards until it snaps. Repeat the same procedure for the other sides.
I like this brand
What is Chillie Bean Sauce?
I never heard of Chillie bean sauce either until I stumbled upon it at the local supermarket, at the sauce & spice department.
Some people called it Hot Bean paste while locally most housewives say it is Dou Ban Jiang, also known as Chillie Bean Sauce.
It is actually a combination of fermented bean past with blended chillies and sugar mixed in a jar. Chillie Bean sauce or hot bean sauce makes a wonderful salted and spicy flavor to meat recipes and tofu.
You need not add in extra seasoning such as salt or pepper into your dish after adding hot bean paste as it has all the required taste with a tablespoon.
This is today's dinner.
My kids had just finished almost half of the dish, the chicken fillets are gone for sure, so are the snow peas but nobody is eating the onions.
They love to mix the mild spicy gravy with white rice.
Guess I had to finish the rest like a garbage truck!
Here is the recipe for SPICY CHICKEN FILLET WITH SNOW PEAS:
Food you need to prepare:
Ingredients You Need To Prepare
- 2 clove garlic,, chopped
- 200g chicken fillets
- 12 snow peas,, remove strings
- 1 small onion,, sliced
- 2 tsp plum sauce
- 3 slices ginger
- 125ml chicken stock or water
- 1 tbsp hot bean sauce
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
Method of cooking:
- Cut the chicken fillet into strips.
- Wash the snow peas and remove the strings.
- Heat up wok with oil. Fry chopped garlic, slices of ginger and onions until fragrant. Add in hot bean sauce but slow down the heat in order not to burn the sauce.
- Add in snow peas and the chicken fillets, stir fry for 5 minutes until the chicken fillets are almost cooked.
- Pour in the chicken stock and season with plum sauce, light soy sauce. Allow the stock to simmer until the snow peas and chicken turned soft.
- Once the stock reduced to almost half, the dish is done. Remember to retain some stock as the gravy. Garnish with chopped spring onion and fried crispy shallots if desired.
Garlic, onions and ginger
Light soy sauce
Chillie bean sauce
How often do you eat snow peas?See results without voting
Health Benefits of eating snow peas
Mom says that we have to eat vegetables which included snow peas even though we hated the strings.
Here are the reasons why:
- Snow peas are less in calories. So if you are on a diet or weight loss program, eat your greens!
- Snow peas are high in fiber just like any other green leafy vegetables and fruits. It helps you to reduce constipation problems. If you want smooth stool, eat snow peas to help your waste in the large or transverse colon to push down into the anus quickly. No more moaning in the toilet bowl!
- Snow peas has high Vitamin C as fresh orange juice. It aids in fighting against inflammatory diseases, protect your immune system from free radicals and germs from attacking your body.
- Snow peas has sufficient amount of carotene which is similar to carrots, to protect your skin, mucus membranes and better eyesight. Who says carrots can make you look in the dark? Snow peas can!
How to remove the strings of snow peas
How to choose fresh snow peas
- Choose snow peas that are bright in green colors.
- If you could pick the snow peas, choose small seeds and brightly colored pods.
- Avoid picking thin, lumpy ( lifeless) snow peas.
- Avoid yellowish snow peas, they had been on the shelves for weeks.
- Avoid dried brown seams.
- fresh snow peas should be very green, flat and firm.
- Snows should be able to break with a snap easily.
- Fresh snow peas should snap if bend. In addition you can see the fresh, round pods inside
How to keep store peas
- Keep fresh snow peas in plastic bag, preferably ziplock bag in the fridge.
- You may keep them up to 3 days.
- However, the peas may turn soft and less crispy by then.
- Try to eat / cook snow peas in 2 days after purchase.
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Carbohydrates 25 g||8%|
|Sugar 9 g|
|Fiber 35 g||140%|
|Protein 9 g||18%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Tofu Absorbs Sauce Well
If you are a vegetarian, replace the chicken fillet with pressed tofu, mushrooms or vegetarian meatball to add more flavor to your snow peas dish.
If you would like to try something different, replace it with chicken liver, taste as good as any chicken parts.
Stir Fry French Beans With Minced Meat
2 of My Favorite Vegetable Recipes
- Vegetable Recipes: Pak Choy Soup with Tofu
Pak Choy Soup with Tofu is a clear , soothing soup for hot or warm weather. Both are full of protein and easy to cook, ready in 15 minutes. Great soup for sick patients and elderly folks.
© 2014 peachy
More by this Author
Looking for a simple spaghetti recipe for a romantic dinner for two? Try this Seafood Tom Yam Spaghetti, a simple romantic dinner recipe for two person which is healthy and easy to cook in 30minutes
Mustard green is one of the most green leafy vegetable in Asian countries. Mustard green is cheap, easy to purchase and quick to cook at the shortest time. You can choose to stir fry with garlic and ginger, which is the...
Toddlers and kids love to imitate other kids and parents behaviors. Repeating and mimicking everything is their learning ability, curiosity to learn evrything they want to know