Taco "Lasagna" Casserole
My family and I love tacos and casseroles. This recipe is a layered lasagna-type casserole that uses easy-to-prepare packaged taco seasoning, along with vegetables and flour or corn tortillas.
- 2 pounds ground beef or turkey
- 2 packets taco seasoning mix, 1.25 ounces
- 1 can diced tomatoes, 14.5 ounces
- 1 small onion, sliced or diced
- 4-6 ounces shredded cheese
- 6-8 soft tortilla shells, 8-9 inch
- shredded lettuce, as desired
- Brown the ground beef or turkey; drain.
- Add seasoning packets, tomatoes and onions to the meat. Cook altogether and simmer according to seasoning packet instructions. When finished, set this meat mixture to the side.
- Place first tortilla shells in bottoms of two 9-10 inch baking pans OR iron skillets.
- Cover first tortilla shells with layer of the meat mixture
- Layer shredded cheese over the meat mixture.
- Place next tortilla shells over the mixture in the pans or skillets. Continue to layer in this lasagna-like process until you have three layers in each baking vessel. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place pans or skillets into oven. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove pans or skillets from oven. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. Garnish the tops of the taco lasagna casseroles with the shredded lettuce. Slice and serve.
Along with the lettuce, you may wish to add one or more of these toppings:
Sliced black olives
Crunchy corn chips
A few dashes of hot sauce
More by this Author
A list of the 10 Worst cold and nutritious breakfast cereals from a consumer who likes the taste of whole grain foods when they're done right.
A selection of non-alcoholic Irish-themed beverages, great for St. Patrick's Day or other celebrations.
The 25 Scariest Movie Scenes of All Time (a viewer's list)