What makes it so good?
I don't know anyone who doesn't love Thai tea. It's a sweet, smooth drink with a distinct flavor originating from black tea, cinnamon, vanilla, and star anise. The flavor and scent of star anise powder is reminiscent of licorice, and many Asian cultures use it to enhance their foods and drinks.
Thai tea is easy to find in many restaurants and even in stores. However, if you would like to make it in the comfort of your own home, view the steps below to enjoy Thai tea anytime!
- 1 gallon water
- 8 star anise, ground
- 1 tablespoon vanilla, powdered
- 1/2 teaspoon (pinch) cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon (pinch) cloves, ground
- 3/4 quart black tea leaves, Chinese or Sri Lankan, with or without caffeine
- 1 to 2 cups sugar
- 1 quart half and half
- Red food coloring or beet powder
(You can substitute coconut milk, evaporated milk or rice milk for half and half.)
- Boil water. Add the star anise, spices, and tea leaves while it's boiling, and continue to boil for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Cover and steep until the water is lukewarm.
- Strain the spices and leaves from the water, and add sugar to taste. Add food coloring as desired.
- Pour into cup, add half and half, and stir. Add ice as desired.
Comments 12 comments
More by this Author
Many people can say that an apple is a fruit and a pepper is a vegetable, but what scientifically is the distinction between the two types of foods? The answer is based on the parts of the plant involved. Basically,...
Cluck-U Chicken is a restaurant chain, with locations throughout the United States. One thing the chain is known for, however, is its knowledge of how to spice things up, with such spicy sauces ranging from Mild,...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE32
In college, I became anorexic and am thankful to have overcome that condition. Learn more about my experience so that you can learn from my mistakes.