Tips for how to make fresh vegetables last longer!
Your children might be happy to learn they won't have to eat those fresh veggies because your carrots have gone limp and your lettuce is wilted. All you can think about, though as you can think about, though, as you are throwing away your old vegetables is how much they had cost. Vegetables will last long enough for you to serve them to your family if you spend few minutes getting them ready to store. Here's how:
- Remember that a tomato is actually a berry. It should be stored on the countertop, stem side down and away from direct sunlight.
- Place cucumbers on the top shelf of the refrigerator to keep them from partially freezing. Wrap fresh corn in a damp cloth and store it still in its husk on a shelf.
- Store carrots and celery in the crisper. Cut the green tops off the carrots and place in a paper bag before storing them.
- Onions, potatoes and garlic should be stored in a basket or wire bin in a dark place.
- Freeze certain fresh vegetables, but remember to blanch them first. Cut them up, drop them in boiling water for a minute or so, then plunge them into an ice bath. Dry them and place in plastic bags.
- Dice and freeze onions, celery and bell peppers. Veggies like these that will be cooked thoroughly in the course of meal preparation don't need to be blanched first.
More by this Author
Any of these animals can be the number 1 toxic on earth as it's very hard to judge them. They all contain different toxic chemicals which can kill a human in minutes. So i have rated them based on how much dangerous...
These are the world's most dangerous, deadly snakes for humans: Find out about the habits of each snake, where they live, and how to avoid them.
Sharks don't usually attack humans. We are not their natural prey. We get attacked because we resemble some of their prey and the shark makes a mistake in murky waters. For example we look a lot like a seal swimming in...