Using Soda Crackers in Desserts and Savory Pies: Recipes & Tips
Soda crackers are a household staple in many homes. They are inexpensive, can be used as a breading, topping or filler in recipes. They also make an easy snack by themselves or topped with cheese or dips. Soda crackers also make a surprising ingredient in desserts or in baked goods. Here are some unique ways to use soda crackers in pies, both sweet and savory.
Soda Cracker Meringue Torte
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup saltines (soda crackers), crushed into crumbs
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Beat the egg whites with the salt until soft peaks. Pour in the vanilla. Gradually add in the sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the cracker crumbs, nuts and baking powder.
- Spoon this mixture into a buttered 8 inch pie plate. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 to 30 minutes until browned and firm to the touch.
- Cool completely before serving.
Mock Apple Pie
- 16 saltines (soda crackers)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Pinch of cloves, if desired
- 9 inch unbaked double pie crust
- Bring the water, sugar, white vinegar, butter, cream of tartar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves if using in a medium sized saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil while stirring constantly. Crush the soda crackers in the mixture. Let cool to warm.
- Pour this into an unbaked pie shell, and top with second crust. Make slits in the top to allow for the steam to escape. Crimp the edges.
- Bake the pie in a preheated 425 degree oven for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
Soda Cracker Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, finely chopped
- 24 saltines (soda crackers) finely crushed
- Graham cracker crust for a 9 inch pie
- Beat the egg whites until firm peaks form, and slowly add in the sugar. Beat until stiff peaks, and fold in the salt, baking powder, finely chopped nuts, and crushed saltines.
- Transfer this mixture into the graham cracker crust, and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for about 35 to 40 minutes. Let completely cool before serving.
Soda Cracker Oyster Pie
- 20 saltines (soda crackers)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 pint oysters
- Salt and pepper
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk, chicken broth, and butter until warm and the butter has melted.
- Crush the crackers in a mixing bowl, and pour the warmed liquid over the top. Add in the oyster, and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Pour this into a buttered casserole dish, and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the oysters have cooked and the eggs have set.
More by this Author
A matignon is a little-referred to term for an important part of cooking. It is a combination of vegetables and other flavorful ingredients (bacon and ham are two popular additions), and can be used as an ingredient or...
Biscuits are supposed to be light, fluffy, moist and at times either rich, savory or sweet. If biscuits are tough and heavy, then a few things could be the problem. Here are some reasons why biscuits may be tough or...
The Euro-Pro brand of sewing machines offer budget pricing to a wide range of sewing machine capabilities. Simple and portable machines, like the Dressmaker series, offer the convenience of stitching straight stitches...