Quick & Easy Recipes: Microwave Chicken Casseroles
The microwave oven can be used to excellent effect in the preparation of easy chicken casseroles -- especially when combined with delicate sauces or other aromatic ingredients such as mushrooms or vegetables. But there are a few things you need to remember.
Tips for Cooking Chicken in a Micowave:
Tip 1: Place chicken portions in a shallow dish wide enough to lay them flat in a single layer for even heat penetration.
Tip 2: Arrange the portions having the most flesh near the edge of the dish.
This Hub includes the following quick recipes:
- Chicken in Red Wine
- Gourmet Chicken
- Chicken Fricassee with Vegetables
Chicken in Red Wine
Time: 39 minutes (High) Serves: 4-6
- 1 chicken, cut into serving-size pieces
- ¼ cup seasoned flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 ounces (125g) bacon, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 6 small onions
- 2 cups red wine
- 4 ounces (125g) button mushrooms
- Salt and pepper
1. Coat chicken pieces lightly with seasoned flour. Preheat browning dish or skillet for 6 minutes. Add oil and heat for 2 minutes. Place in chicken pieces, pressing down on all sides to seal and color. Cook 3 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from pan and place into a medium (2 quart/ 2 litre) casserole dish.
2. Reheat browning dish for 4 minutes, add bacon, garlic and onions, cover with kitchen paper and cook for 3 minutes. Add this mixture to chicken. Gradually blend in wine and remaining flour to form a smooth paste. Add mushrooms and cook covered 15-18 minutes, stirring twice during cooking.
Time: 40 minutes (High) Serves: 4
- 2 whole chicken breasts
- Seasoned flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- ¼ cup blanched slivered almonds
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- ¾ cup dry sherry
- 1 cup button mushrooms
- Parsley sprigs for garnish
1. Cut chicken breasts into serving pieces and dust lightly with seasoned flour. Preheat browning dish or skillet for 6 minutes. Add oil and heat for 2 minutes. Add almonds, brown lightly, set aside for garnish.
2. Reheat skillet for 2 minutes, add chicken pieces and cook 3 minutes on each side. Remove chicken and place into a medium (2 quart/2 litre) casserole dish. Place onion, garlic, celery, parsley into browning dish and cook 2 minutes. Add sherry, mushrooms and stir well.
3. Pour mixture over chicken pieces and cook covered 15-18 minutes. Thicken lightly with cornflour if necessary and cook 2 minutes longer. Serve garnished with almonds and parsley sprigs.
Chicken Fricassee with Vegetables
Time: 37 minutes (High) Serves: 4
- 1 small carrot, finely sliced
- 1 small green capsicum (pepper), finely sliced
- 2 ounces (50g) celery, finely sliced
- 1 small kohlrabi, finely sliced
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 small zucchini (courgette), finely sliced
- 2 ounces (50g) mushrooms, finely sliced
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 pound (500g) chicken breast fillets
- ½ cup white wine
- Salt, pepper
- ½ teaspoon thyme
1. Place carrot, capsicum, celery and kohlrabi in a medium (2 quart/2 litre) casserole with the stock, cover and cook 2½ - 3 minutes, stirring once. Add the zucchini, mushrooms and spring onions to the cooked vegetables. Cover and cook for 3½ - 4 minutes.
2. Cut the chicken breast fillets into bite-sized pieces, add to the vegetables, cover and microwave for 2 - 3 minutes or until chicken is tender. Microwave the wine in a small dish for 2 minutes or until reduced. Add to the chicken and vegetables. Season with salt, pepper and thyme to serve.
Popular family-size ovens
More by this Author
Step-by-step directions for how to make choux pastry and shape it into eclairs or puffs. Pictures and a video help to illustrate each stage of the process.
Learn how to make delicious anish Pastries at home. Includes suggestions for fruit and custard fillings, step-by-step instructions, and a recipe for easy glace icing.
Learn how to grate fresh ginger root (includes selection and storage tips for fresh ginger). Also includes a very quick to make recipe for Ginger Chicken Kebabs using grated ginger.