NFL Week 1: Which Game are you Looking Forward to the Most?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (42 posts)
  1. LakeShow T profile image74
    LakeShow Tposted 13 years ago

Being that my game already happened on Thursday between the Vikings and Saints, the remaining game that I am most looking forward to is the Monday night game:

Baltimore Ravens
    vs.
    New York Jets

Both teams were amongst the most active in the NFL off season. In fact, I would say these are the two teams that improved themselves the most. That is a good thing for the Jets being that they made the AFC Championship game last year. I will love to see how newly aquired receivers Anquan Boldin and TJ Houshmandzadeh fare in what should make for an explosive Ravens offense and how they will match-up with AFC Defensive Player of the Year Darrelle Revis, who does not figure to be in NFL game shape yet after he just reported to the team earlier this week. Also, the Jets have done a lot of trash-talking over the Summer--I want to see if they can back it up. Ultimately, I think this will be a very close game, but I will take the Jets to win in a close one, just for the fact they are the home team.

Prediction:
    Ravens 20
    Jets 23

2. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

Dallas at Washington Sunday Night. Should be a good one for...Cowboy fans!

1. tony0724 profile image60
      tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Uhh apparently not Michael sorry.

1. wavegirl22 profile image49
        wavegirl22posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Tony smile

LOL apparently smile

Can life be any better than in Cali . . . football since 9:30 am and now I still have a few hours to (hopefully) knock out a few Hubs!

Must say all in all it was a GREAT opening day in the NFL !

Cowgirls choke . .anyone surprised??

Must say McNabb looked good in his Skins!

Chahguhs and Chiefs
        Ravens and Jets

Like I said . . . can it get any better than
        Football in Cali!!!!

1. tony0724 profile image60
          tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Shari how ya doin Sweetie ? Yeah a beautiful day in Cali. I never left the house. I kept tabs on both fantasy football teams and wrote a hub. I started it this morning and it took all day ! Football kept distracting me ! smile

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Hi Michael and Tim, And Steelers on Sunday too, anyway all of the game, including that on Monday, so I am writing a hub now until tomorrow so I can concentrate ion Sunday till Monday!
    Good day to the two of you!

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

mine already happened with the Saints.

Maita, you are pretty dark horse. cute avatar. big_smile

4. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

Gotta agree with Jets / Ravens.  What's the over/under on career-ending injuries?

5. LakeShow T profile image74

@ Michael: That Cowboys/Redskins games will be big. I know I am looking forward to it as well. Even though it is merely the first game of the season, it will give us a great indication of what to expect in the NFC East. The expectations for the Cowboys are perhaps at their highest since their dynasty in the 90's. Can they live up to those high expectations? On the other hand, nobody knows what to expect from the Redskins. They made a lot of big-name acquisitions in the off season, including potential Hall of Famers, QB Donovan McNabb and Coach Mike Shanahan. Will the new team gel together and garner success or will it remain at the bottom of the NFC East totem poll? We will get our first indication on Sunday!

@ PrettyDarkHorse: The Steelers game will be interesting as well against the Falcons. I think that will be a difficult test for them without Big Ben. However, I am interested to see what their new starting QB Dennis Dixon has to bring to the table. He is a great athlete and will definitely keep the defense on their toes. The Steelers are also well coached in my opinion, so I think that game will really come down to how well the Steelers running game can establish itself.

@ Rebekah: The Saints/Vikings was originally my game as well since I am from Minnesota. I thought the Saints would win, but I did not expect the game to be that low-scoring, considering those are two of the elite offenses in the league. Both teams were very rusty! Congrats on the Saints victory.

@ Ron: Great comment about the physicality of both the Ravens' and Jets' defenses. It will be a slugfest. I think both teams will also be improved on the offensive side of the ball this year, so it will be interesting to see what kind of game it becomes.

6. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

Are the Raiders playing? wink  I swear, this year they'd better do something or I'll...I'll, still be a fan.
    Also a Cubbie fan-you think I'm into underdogs or something? smile

LakeShow Tposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@ lorlie6: I think it's great to root for the underdogs! It just makes it all the more enjoyable when they do break through and win.

7. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 13 years ago

Eagles/Packers.

Let's see what Kolb is made of.

If I wasn't biased, I might say Ravens/Jets since I picked them for the AFC championship game. Well, maybe that also makes me biased toward them.

@ EYEAM4ANARCHY: I will be interested in that Eagles/Packers game as well. Although I'm rooting heavily for the Eagles to beat the Packers, I do not think it will happen. Kolb's situation is somewhat similar to Rodgers' when Favre was sent packing (no pun intended). Rodgers struggled quite a bit at first, but now is one of the league's elites. I think Kolb will struggle as well and the Eagles will have a difficult season, especially playing in the formidable NFC East. Many see the Packers as Super Bowl contenders this year. We'll get our first glimpse of what both teams' futures have in store for them on Sunday.

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
        EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I'm picking the Packers to lose to the Jets in the Super Bowl. Kolb hasn't looked real good during the preseason and the fact that he looked good during garbage time against the Saints and against a horrible Kansas City team last year doesn't give me the boost of confidence that it seems to be giving everyone else. He's also shown a bit of a tendency to throw interceptions.

He has the players there to be very successful if he plays well, but at this point I'm a bit hesitant about tomorrow. I'd love to see him do well, but I'm fully prepared for this to be an awful embarrassment. I think Rodgers is going to come into his own this season, more so than ever before and that could spell a long day for Philly.

8. wavegirl22 profile image49
    wavegirl22posted 13 years ago

Well aint life grand.... nothing better than seeing EYEAM4ANARCHY back in the forums. Cause we all know what that means!!!

Its time for some football!!!

And though I dont always agree with him, it looks like this season I will and I am.

Jets win Superbowl and Rodgers comes into his own.

Now if someone tells me that Gibride wont be on the sideline (Sr or Jr) I really will be a happy camper.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/3774694_f520.jpg

The one thing better is seeing Wavegirl.

9. wavegirl22 profile image49
    wavegirl22posted 13 years ago

oophs were are my manners. ..

LakeShow T - welcome to the Hub smile

Why thank you for the welcome!

Embarrassing pic for Kevin Gilbride there. LoL.

Not quite as embarrassing as this one:

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2009/08/18/mn-raiders18_ph2_421958393.jpg

LoL at the Kevin Gilbride and Buddy Ryan in-game sideline skirmish. That's definitely a classic!

10. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72

I like what I'm seeing on defense so far. Now it's time for Kolb to connect with Desean Jackson on a 60+ yard TD.

11. prettydarkhorse profile image63

Hi eyeam4anarchy,

Yoohoo, Steelers 1

Hi PDH.

Yeah, I took Atlanta, mostly because of Dixon being back there.

2. LakeShow T profile image74

Prettydarkhorse: Congrats on that Steelers "W"! That's huge for them, considering the Falcons are a formidable opponent. Dixon appeared to hold his own and now the team must have added confidence they can win with him at the helm.

12. Michael Willis profile image68

The Indianapolis Colts at Houston Texans game turned out to be a Great game!!! Arian Foster is awesome. Loved the game.  Oh...and since I have Foster on a Fantasy team...I was very excited!

Congrats Michael on Fosters HUGE performance. That output alone should just about win the week for your team!

1. Michael Willis profile image68
        Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This fantasy team is a lock to win. lol I also had Welker, Mendenhall and Ocho Cinco. 136 with Dallas defense to go.

So far so good with that draft it sounds like. Kudos! It appears as though the arrival of Terrell Owens on the Bengals is going to help free things up a little more for Ochocinco, much like Houshmandzadeh did during his tenure with the Bengals. Ochco was not producing last season in the absence of that second threat.

13. LakeShow T profile image74

Wow! Arian Foster and the Houston Texans made a big statement against the Colts today! 231 yards rushing and 3 TDs for Foster. Get him starting on your fantasy teams. The Texans were the #1 passing team in the league last year, but near the bottom in rushing. With Foster at RB now, it appears they will definitely move up those rushing ranks and be a top 5 offense in the league.

14. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

This could finally be Houston's breakout year.  8-8 would be a huge disappointment.

1. Michael Willis profile image68
      Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

10-6 would be a very successful year and maybe even a wildcard berth for the the Texans. But, I still see the Colts winning the Division.

2. LakeShow T profile image74

It certainly looks like it after today Ron. The Colts had always been the nemesis they could not break through against. The Texans have the talent and now they have the confidence. I'll still take the Colts to win that division, but it looks like the Texans will seriously contend to make the playoffs in what is an extremely difficult AFC Conference.

15. LakeShow T profile image74

Michael Vick back into the mix today after the injury to Kolb. 175 yards passing, 103 yards rushing, and 1 TD in about a half of football. Although Andy Reid denies it, you'd have to think there is a QB controversy oncoming.

16. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Well, I can see this Raider season is going to be much like the last 7 or so.  (sigh)

I picked the Raiders too Shades sad

There is always next week . .and then again there is always

The

❤ G-Men❤

and/or

❤ Jets ❤  Jets ❤  Jets ❤  Jets ❤

Shari:

Are you a Jets "AND" Giants fan? If so, I did not know that existed. I thought it was one or the other...haha.

I sure am a Giants Fan and a Jets Fan!

Guess you could say I go both ways ☮ n ♡

Brought up by a Dad who was a Giant fan and a brother who drilled Willie Joe into my veins. ..

Awesome! Now that's what I call a football fan! smile

17. tony0724 profile image60
    tony0724posted 13 years ago

I am waiting for the Chahguhs and the Chiefs. And the Jets game tomorrow night too. Shonn Green is on my fantasy team a good game out of him and I take the early lead on my Fantasy Football League. The Colts/ Texans game was really good too !

18. Michael Willis profile image68

Next week we will see Manning vs Manning in Indianapolis Colts vs NY Giants. Should be a veryyyyy good game.

19. prettydarkhorse profile image63

I am glad the Steelers fan won with their offense. Still three more to go w/o Ben!

Whew what a game yesterday, lots of exciting matches!

Anticipating next week again and today!

20. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72

I took a beating on my picks, especially the spreads. The only teams that really shocked me though were San Fran and the Chiefs (even though San Diego has a tendency to start slow).

Houston usually plays Indy tight, but maybe they are going to suffer one of those SB hangovers.

McNabb looked pretty decent, but the rest of the offense didn't particularly bowl me over. That victory was more about the Skins defense and the Cowboys making mistakes than it was about Washington doing anything good on offense.

Kolb didn't do anything, but give me more reason to doubt he is the next franchise QB in Philly before he got injured.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)