What's up with this new Facebook wannabe "full size" picture slideshow

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (46 posts)
  1. Bendo13 profile image76
    Bendo13posted 11 years ago

I just checked one of my hubs where I give people the option to click and view the FULL size picture and now it looks like we have this slideshow that gives you about a half size view of the picture, if that. 

I know for a fact that the image was bigger because it's a screenshot of my profile, which was uploaded at actual size.

I mean the slideshow window itself is twice the size of the version of the picture they're showing, so there is room to let people see a bigger version... but yet they don't.

It appears that they limit you on the width of the image, so tall images still show up kind of large (not exactly full size) but wide images are shrunk down.

Once again a "pretty" option crushes functional quality...

Or am I the only one that doesn't like it?

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I never use slideshows, as I prefer people ignore the images and click my adverts smile

But I do prefer it to the old method which was pretty dodgy, taking the user away from the page.

Bendo13posted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's the thing, I didn't choose a slideshow option... it appears it's automatic now if you choose to let people click your pictures to view the fullsize.

You can't see the details of the graphs unless you can view the fullsize image and now with this new Facebook looking style of "full size view" you still can't see all the details because it's not true full size.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
          lobobrandonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It all makes sense now. I was waiting for this feature to roll out as I never wanted people to leave my hubs to view the slideshow as most wouldn't return especially as they'd get most of what they wanted through the pics.

I was checking my real time analytics and noticed something unusual. People visited one hub and were viewing slide show images of another. So, in other words they're introduced to the related hubs if they wish to check out the images. I for one would have proceeded and checked them out if I were searching for that particular term. So, I like it smile

Well, I'd like the ability to disable the slideshow option; I didn't choose it.

All I want is people to be able to view the full size image, to see the true detail.  It does me no good to open a little slideshow and the image is barely bigger than the one they clicked.

As I said, there is plenty of room in that black box to make the image bigger; all the blank space makes no sense.

I want the option to choose which images should be made larger and included in the slide show. I use some pics that are text and designs to mark ends of some parts of the hubs. They're being added to the slide show.

The main aim is to make the experience worthwhile for visitors right? If that's the case we should be given the option to choose. Just checked one of my tutorials. The pic needs to be larger than what the slideshow shows...

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

I only ever choose to let people click the image whenever it benefits the reader to see it in true full size.  I've never actually used a slideshow once on HubPages.

I've used them only on my Review Hubs. But, just noticed that I use a pic at the top and then again along with the products so at least one of the images is repeated. That's what makes me want to choose the pics even more!

2. Bendo13 profile image76

Looks like they fixed the size issue BUT for some reason a wide but really short image I have is being skipped over and not shown in the slideshow... it's not even clickable anymore.

And oddly enough, it's an image of my AdSense earnings for the month. Hmm...

Yeah, still not working... Most of them now show the images a lot wider and it's acceptable, but some are still the old scrunched size and for some reason three different AdSense earnings screenshots in the same hub aren't clickable, but every other picture is.

The only thing different about them is they're not very tall, but they're just as wide.... so, something's up with the slideshow still.

1. snakeslane profile image81
          snakeslaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We've been talking about this in another forum thread.

http://hubpages.com/_26tq0paqtc0wz/forum/topic/96802

I had the same problem with the short images, but seems to be  browser related. I upgraded my browser and slideshow improved. (Although still did not get full size images.)

I use IE 9 all the time and switching to a browser you're not use to, or don't want to use, isn't really an "upgrade" in my mind.

Most people still use Internet Explorer (as I can see from my Analytics) and HP should make it work across platforms, not make the user change how they interact online.

1. snakeslane profile image81

I agree. I actually 'uninstalled' the IE9 because I didn't like it. But now my slide shows are back to distorted images. Maybe I should have used the word 'updated' instead of 'upgraded'. Not too familiar with the techie venacular.

2. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 11 years ago

Woah!! Real time shows a person viewing a slide show on various types of teas, then Green tea vs Oolon (not sure what that is) and the visitor came to my hub through the green apple benefits (hub). So, those were the related slide shows I guess!

I never opted for a slide show on that hub; but, Analytics is showing 50 views in the past 2 minutes thanks to this. Hope it doesn't interfere with my stats as I keep track of them - don't want to see an increase when it's not actually an increase of my views.

On the other hand, if at all page view time counts this would help.

That green tea vs oolong tea was probably my hub wink

Haha smile

Oh, and have you noticed in your stats that it lists slide views as something else on its own like +9 slide views?  I wonder if analytics picks up those views as well, which would make our traffic seem higher but there are no ads on the slideshow, so those views are useless.

Not sure why HubPages is trying to mimic Facebook (Google's biggest competitor), Pinterest and who knows who else...

And then in the new design they drop the Google+ button (possible slap to Google's face)

3. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

Any hub with five or more images automatically gets a slideshow link. You CAN turn it off with one click using the settings on the right in edit mode...

Yes, I know that, it's off but still showing sad Still, I'd love to have the option to select pics.

There doesn't even appear to be an option to select if you want your images clickable or not anymore either... Now all my pictures you can click and some of them are shifted downward and are hanging out of the slideshow thing.

4. Steve Lensman profile image61
    Steve Lensmanposted 11 years ago

I have to agree with the post starter the slideshow shrinks images instead of giving you the opportunity to see them full size, what is the point?

I go to a lot of trouble posting high quality images on some of my hubs, and no one will ever see them at their full resolution. A shame.

5. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I hate that this slideshow stupidity takes up space in my statistics.

I only put pictures in my hubs because HP insists it is necessary.

As far as I am concerned, words are the key factor in communicating information. When I look for information, I discount pictures and videos totally.

If it's showing in your stats then you're getting views on your slideshows and so people are interested. These stats only show if the views are over 5% (Is it 5?) of your hub views. But, since each pic is a view I seem to be crossing it now sad

1. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea. I do not bother to look at the figures. I could not care a flying "duck" if some people look at the pictures. They are not the people I am targeting. I write articles for the intelligent layman not for the comic strip reader or Pinterest groupie.

I'm busy seeing my analytics as I type this. All my hubs with pictures are getting loads of slideshow views.. I didn't expect it to happen though.

The problem is you might get slideshow views in that "black hover box" while they're on someone else's hub... but they aren't on your hub!

They can close that box and go right back to the hub they started on.

The only way it'd be good is if they continue in the slideshow, make it to one of your pictures and then are like hmm that's interesting and click the link up top (the title of the hub the picture is from) and come to your hub that way.

Now I don't know if the slideshow views are just when someone views your image in a slideshow (worthless) or if when someone actually comes from a slideshow to your hub.... if it's the second option then that's a decent stat to look at, because it shows where the new slideshow has helped you.

6. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Well, I have never worked out how to use Analytics, so I do not bother with it.

You haven't hooked it up? Or you can't work out how to read the feedback from it?

When I tried to get it to show what was happening on Hubpages, I couldn't. My daughter said it is because I do not actually own the web site and so cannot use the special codes needed.

...LOL why would there be a special link in the earnings section for it then?...

You just do a CTRL+F on the "special codes" and find something that starts with "GA". Should be like GA-546455. Insert that on the earnings page and wait 24 hours - voilà you should start seeing data. smile

smile It's really simple, just give it a try and you'll see lol The data has helped me a lot and I'm sure it would help you too. Also, try google webmaster tools if you haven't already

2. WriteAngled profile image74

I've done that, although the only code I have starts with UA.

That gives me some graphs in Analytics which don't seem to be very useful since I already know how many views I get.

However, when I try to see what search terms people use, I am told I need to set up some webmaster tools.

When I click to do that, it pushes me to a new page, tells me to enter the web site name, which I assume is hubpages.com, and then it spews out some code, which it tells me to paste onto my web site.

That is what my daughter was talking about. She said I could only use that code if I was the owner of hubpages.com

Put in your subdomain http://writeangled.hubpages.com not hubpages.com
              and then if you already have Analytics set up, that is one of the options for verification.

You just tell it to look for your Analytics code and you're set.

Should work. I never had to do webmaster tools or anything. Once linked I got heaps of info, most of which I never look at!...

Yeah, you don't need webmaster tools to get all the info... just was showing her how to get verified over there.

In reality she should be able to see her keywords. 

Traffic Sources > Search > Overview is where you want to go to see the keywords people are using to find your articles.

All through the sidebar on the left... and then right below the graph, off to the left a little you want to click the blue "keyword" link

2. WriteAngled profile image74

Put it in where? Analytics, webmaster, somewhere else?

This is what is so confusing. I am sent from one place to another, finally to end up somewhere where I cannot do what I am told to do!

I think you hit Traffic Sourses > Search Optimization > Queries which isn't what you want...

See above to find the keywords

2. snakeslane profile image81

I hope this does not confuse things further Re: analytics. To access analytics I go to my account (here on Hub Pages), click on Earnings. On the earnings page near the bottom is a box Reporting Settings, there is a link there to analytics. There is also an URL (an affiliate code) starting with UA. I'm thinking your code would still be there? Or have I missed something?

When I click on the link to the analytics page my name and that URL both show up. When I click on my name it takes me into the analytics page. There is tons of information you can access by clicking the different options from the menu bar on the left.

I don't know anything about webmaster tools.

7. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Is there a way we can disable this function??  I don't like that it now appears on hubs with 2 or more images automatically. If people choose to view the images, there is nothing indicating on the last image to return to the hub. It goes to more slideshows!

What if our images are at the top and someone lands on the page and immediately views the slideshow?  Is it even counted as an impression, are they still on our page?

I also don't see where it gives slideshow stats.
    Does anyone know the date this feature was implemented?

When you go to the hub and click stats to see just the stats for that hub, sometimes it will say "+5 slide views" or something along those lines, right beside the other views.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

OOps, I knew that. I was looking at our account page.  I forgot that they are on our hub stats, thanks.

8. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

For one of my hubs the first picture seems to have vanished so only the 'see slideshow' tab is and not the picture! showing http://psycheskinner.hubpages.com/hub/Three-Legged-Calf

9. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

psyche, I see your calf image.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Huh. Either it unglitched or I had a problem on my end : /
      Thanks for checking.

10. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 11 years ago

WriteAngled go to your analytics account. Copy the code, then Hub Pages earnings and paste the code there. Once that's done go to Google Webmaster and use Analytics as a confirmation method.

WHICH CODE????????

I cannot change hubpages.com to my subdomain in Analytics.

I added my subdomain as well as hubpages.com. It gave me a different code beginning with UA. So I changed to this one in my Hubpages set-up.

Now I get an error message when I go the Analytics:
      "The Google Analytics tracking code has not been detected on your website's home page. For Analytics to function, you or your web administrator must add the code to each page of your website."

And then it tells me to add this code everywhere:

<script type="text/javascript">

var _gaq = _gaq || [];
        _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-MY NUMBER']);
        _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);

(function() {
          var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
          ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
          var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
        })();

</script>

BUT I CANNOT ADD CODE TO EACH PAGE HERE!!!!

I am so very weary of all this c__p!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)