New Caps on Seller and Keyword-Based Amazon and eBay Product Listings

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Hey y'all!

We have capped the total number of seller or keyword-based Amazon and eBay products that can be featured in each capsule at two.

You can find more information on the update and the 'why' behind it on our blog.

In short, we're hoping this will improve visitors' experiences and improve your sales. smile

1. AMFredenburg profile image75
      AMFredenburgposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This makes perfect sense; I've already fixed my two pertinent Hubs. Thanks!

Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Fantastic! Thanks for being so proactive about it!

2. sallybea profile image94
      sallybeaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Had my second Amazon sale today and as was trying to recall whether UK members of Hubpages get paid in vouchers, maybe only when you get to $50!
      Changed my Hubs tonught  Visually I think they look a lot better with only two thanks Simone.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
        mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

In the UK you get paid by cheque once you reach $100 if I remember correctly (I have received cheques from them occasionally in the past).

1. sallybea profile image94
          sallybeaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks mistyhorizon I appreciate your comment.

1. Marketing Merit profile image94
            Marketing Meritposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I usually let my cheques build up to $500 as the Nationwide BS, charge me approx £6 to deposit my Amazon US cheques as they are paid in dollars.

2. earner profile image84
          earnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am in the UK, a quick point for people in the future reading this is that if you are a UK member, you need to join Amazon.com and use that ID in Hubpages.  .com and .co.uk are separate.

I've set my Amazon.com account to pay me in gift vouchers.  I get the first email saying earnings reports are available, then up to 2 weeks later a gift voucher arrives by email.  I then log into my Amazon account and can add that to my account.  They accumulate.  I plan to buy stuff from the US that I can't get in the UK .... if only I can decide what as my current wish list is about US$500 and my vouchers are under $200 sad

I was under the impression that when you go to buy things from Amazon.com it told you that you had to buy from the .co.uk site if you lived in the UK. That caused a problem because the .co.uk site didn't accept the gift vouchers issued by Amazon.com. Certainly the occasional times I have tried to 'buy' free ebooks from the .com site it has told me I can't, and they are only downloads.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All of mine are set at one. It's just the kind of guy I am...

2. Joseph Muendo profile image48
    Joseph Muendoposted 11 years ago

great advice looking forward to increasing revenue based on amazon and eBay Caps

No promises; as I say in the post, these capsules typically only perform well when readers coming to the Hub are looking to buy the product you feature (not just looking to learn about something), so it all depends. But here's hoping this helps! big_smile

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image82
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Do we need to go back and change all hubs, or will they automatically be reduced on existing hubs?

They will not be automatically reduced, as that might negatively affect some Hubs' formatting. The numbers will only be reduced if/when the capsules are edited. big_smile

1. galleryofgrace profile image73
        galleryofgraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Does this also mean that if we edit hubs and remove Amazon and ebay products that each hub goes back to review???????

I just did this for two of my Hubs and they both stayed featured.

2. Victoria Lynn profile image87
      Victoria Lynnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My question exactly. That could take forever!

1. Peggy W profile image96
        Peggy Wposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I also know that with over 400 hubs that could take forever to go back and edit all of them.  It is easy to go forward with these new rules.  Is there a time limit to address earlier hubs?

I don't get the impression this is compulsory for existing hubs. Everything I have just read on the subject seems to indicate that existing hubs will stay the same unless you ever decide to go back and edit the sales capsule within them (in other words if you don't there is no further action required). I am not planning to change my existing hubs at all even though many of them have up to 5 products or so in a capsule. My more recent sales capsules all relied on not using the keyword search feature anyway, and products were added manually by ASIN so I would be okay for up to 10 products in Amazon capsules on that basis. My older hubs did use the search feature in their sales capsules, but I will leave them alone unless told that they have to be changed.

I hope that you are correct mistyhorizon2003.  I hope that Simone will address this aspect of it for those of us who have been here a while and have numerous hubs.  Overall I think that it is a great idea.  Simone...if you are reading this...please address the older hubs situation.  Thanks!

1. Howard S. profile image90
              Howard S.posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Simone addressed it in the blog referenced in the initial post. Misty is correct. Existing hubs will not be affected until edited. The blog literally says "When you edit a commerce capsule featuring more than two keyword or seller-based products, the limit gets brought down to two," so you should even be OK editing a typo in a Text Capsule if you don't touch the Amazon Capsule.

Thanks!  I just figured that out by going in and looking at some older hubs.  IF one touches the edit capsule in an Ebay or Amazon capsule it will no longer allow more than two and it happens automatically if more than two were shown previously.  Thanks Howard S.

4. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I don't understand.

What is a seller-based or keyword-based capsule?

You know how you can type in a keyword to feature Amazon products? That's what I mean. Same with inserting seller IDs. Whatever it is that brings up the listing. We're reducing the maximum number of products you can list in those scenarios.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image82
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So, if we have three capsules in one block of text, each with only one item, we need to pare down as we edit?  Right?

If you think they make the Hub busy and aren't likely to drive sales, I would definitely recommend removing some/all.

5. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Oh, I see, thank you, Simone.

I didn't even know you could select a seller like that and would not know why anyone would want to do so.

As for selecting products randomly by keyword, my experience is that usually this is a disaster!

Happy to clear things up!

Say you write a Hub about Star Wars figurines and know of a GREAT eBay seller. In this case, it would be great to utilize their Seller ID. big_smile

I agree it isn't ideal to select products by keyword!

6. GmaGoldie profile image80
    GmaGoldieposted 11 years ago

Will this apply automatically or are my older hubs grandfathered? I think this is wonderful! Side note, I still would like to see capsules from a Granger or big box hardware store. I know Amazon and eBay are big but promoting the brick mortar and cross promoting is long overdue on the world wide web.

7. LongTimeMother profile image91
    LongTimeMotherposted 11 years ago

Hi Simone. I understand the logic of this, in theory. However when I wrote my hub about Best books for 10 year olds, I noticed that if I allowed five products to be featured in my Amazon link to a particular series of books, then readers would see an option to purchase titles for just one cent.

One cent compared to $20.90 (for the product listing that always comes up first in the box) is a huge saving. The only way I can be confident that my readers will always see an option for a very cheap purchase is to allow more products to display.

Similarly, for another author, with three products listed there is an option to purchase a title for 2 cents. For authors where book prices were all pretty similar, I had only displayed two products.

I found similar results in some of my 'living off the grid' topics. If I selected a higher number of products, the options available to readers and therefore, I would think, the likelihood of clicking for a purchase, was more attractive due to both variety and price.

Of course I'm one of those people who writes hubs with thousands of words, so the amazon or eBay box is hardly considered a main feature on the page (or even in the capsule).

If restricting all product listings to two makes the product less attractive to readers, isn't there an argument for exceptions to the rule?

My understanding is that you have the option of creating more than one capsule, so if you really wanted to feature 10 books, for instance, you could create 5 capsules.

1. LongTimeMother profile image91
        LongTimeMotherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

True, AMF. However I am not talking about featuring ten books. I'd be more likely to be featuring books from 10 authors. (Although I think I only cover about five authors in that hub.)

In the case of books by a particular author, when the top two are the two most expensive and they save the cheapest for the third and fourth product listing, that doesn't really help.

And also because the order of their listings can change at any time (for instance solar lights), there's every possibility that the selection of two will not include the particular lights I am writing about when viewed at a later time.

As I say, I do understand in principle. I'm just pointing out that while some hubbers might include multiple products in one capsule because they think it fills their space or will somehow make them more money, I tend to do it to ensure the reader gets to see there is variety in choice with the types of products I am talking about (eg solar ovens).

This is just food for thought. I think whenever a change is suggested or implemented, it is helpful to provide feedback. smile

If you know the products you specifically want to feature in the capsule why not add them manually using their ASIN number, that way you don't get unwanted items appearing at all. This will also allow you up to a maximum of 10 products in an Amazon capsule (although that is rather an excessive amount)

1. Horatio Plot profile image74
            Horatio Plotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This change only refers to keyword based Amazon products, LongTimeMother. You can still list up to 10 specific products by listing their ASIN numbers, as misty says. Just list the cheaper products.
            An easy way to do this is to have Amazon open at the relevant page in a separate window on your computer while you are compiling the Amazon capsule in your Hub. Simply choose which of the Amazon items you require - for example the author's cheaper books - and then copy the ASIN number from Amazon and paste it in to the Amazon capsule of your Hub. Simples.

Okay, that's all great advice. Thanks!

2. LongTimeMother profile image91

Thanks to you as well, mistyhorizon2003. I can't imagine the day when I'd want to put 10 products in one Amazon capsule, but it is nice to know what the boundaries are. smile

I appreciate the advice. Thanks.

8. gosupress profile image59
    gosupressposted 11 years ago

Great change.

9. Healthyannie profile image86
    Healthyannieposted 11 years ago

Hi Simone - I think that is a good idea. Love the hat by the way.

10. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

Makes no difference to me, I barely move any Amazon product anyway.

11. Howard S. profile image90
    Howard S.posted 11 years ago

@LongTimeMother: I don't fully understand your purposes. I make a higher Amazon commission when selling a product for $200 than one for $0.01. But if you really want to offer "penny ante", then input not just the keyword, but the seller's ID.
    No one has mentioned here that one benefit of listing specific products is the ability to write your own description to endorse the product.

Hi Howard. I guess the only way I can explain my purposes is to explain that when I when I write a hub about helping a child who is a reluctant reader to become engaged in reading, I'm actually concentrating on helping - not concentrating on making money.

There's a lot of really nice people who don't have cash flow in these tough economic times, and I try to factor that in when writing hubs.

I'm not so generous when writing for corporate clients, lol..

12. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

This is the way I've always done it.

...and by the way, I also edited a number of my older Hubs this morning and it didn't affect the Amazon capsules at all. Sooooo... no worries I guess. smile

13. Thomas Swan profile image95
    Thomas Swanposted 11 years ago

Thanks for making this change. I had posted a forum thread recently about ebay capsules. I was finding that using a search term to generate several ebay products often resulted in many of those products being exactly the same (e.g. the search term "soccer" might produce 4 ebay ads for the same pair of football boots). I predicted that google would consider this spamming. Hopefully, this will prevent that happening in future, and encourage people to use more capsules with slightly different search terms.

1. Thomas Swan profile image95
      Thomas Swanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

However, the more ebay boxes you use, the more of those big clunky ebay icons you have underneath the products (the "right now on ebay"). That can look very unappealing.

14. Mark Johann profile image60
    Mark Johannposted 11 years ago

This sounds like amazing. Hubpages are getting easier and easier and more user friendly in a sense.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)