copied work

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Schatzie Speaks profile image95
    Schatzie Speaksposted 10 years ago

I have the little red copyright infringement sign next to an article of mine. I contacted the website on which my hub was duplicated, literally word for word including the exact pictures I chose. However, they said that my original article was linked in their Sources section.

My question is this....are you allowed to legally do this? I don't consider my hub to be a "source" when it has been literally duplicated, verbatim. Source to me is when you use something to find information and then at least attempt to re-word it and make it somehow different than the original.

My next question is will I be penalized by google for this, as it looks for all intent and purposes like my copyright has been infringed, even if they put a little link to my hub at the very bottom? Should I pursue this or abandon my case?

Secondly (still on this same topic) I had this problem with another hub on another website and the page was deleted that had my work on it but the little copied sign is still appearing next to my hub. How do I get rid of it?

Thanks for any and all help with this!
    Schatzie

1. Suzanne Day profile image92
      Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Firstly, yes, they copied your hub without your permission. Don't bother contacting websites as it can get too time consuming and half of them don't know where they stand anyway with third party content, go straight here and fill out a form for a DMCA with Google: https://support.google.com/legal/troubl … 14905?rd=1

Then wait a few weeks and it will get removed (mine worked too when someone copied my hub, a few weeks back).

Secondly, the red copyright apparently doesn't go away for a long long time, so after the page is removed on the offending site, just ignore the c.

2. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

What Google does with duplicate content is they choose one out of the two that they figure has more authority; partly this is based on the age of the content, how old it is. Of course, I've read that a copy will sometimes out-rank the original.

2. TeriSilver profile image95
    TeriSilverposted 10 years ago

I have had this happen twice now --- `the first time I was able to get the thief to remove her page.  The second one is current--- just had an article yanked fro HP and although I've contacted the offending site, I don't hold much hope.  Filing DCMA complaints is worthless, in my opinion and Google gets so many of them they don't care.  (I've done so in the past with a different client).

1. TeriSilver profile image95
      TeriSilverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have now had word from the offending site that the blog page has been removed ... and it has been. I notified HP and was kind of  hoping they'd publish my piece now but I'm guessing not (they were kind enough to do that once before, after I wqas ripped off by another blogger who removed the piece from her site). So, outside of reloading the entire article ... which would be a difficult thing to do .... I guess I can't use it?  I understand the reason of not publishing it the first tiime, but I'm feeling punished for something that this content thief did. And the funny thing is, I did check it with CS before publishing.  Color me sad.  Ah, well.

3. Melinda Longoria profile image65
    Melinda Longoriaposted 10 years ago

What if they copied your youtube title word-for-word? Their video is just a slideshow of my recipe with some slight changes but they totally copied my title exactly. It wouldn't be a big deal, but it puts them ahead of me in search results, which kinda upset me. They created their video a few weeks after mine was created. It's this one: How To Make Baked Chicken Broccoli & Cheese Rice Balls - KID TESTED

4. TeriSilver profile image95
    TeriSilverposted 10 years ago

The two things I've found of mine ... so far ...  ... yes, they were copied word for word.  A true cut and paste.

1. TeriSilver profile image95
      TeriSilverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And the other issue I have is that the original content, which was posted on Suite101, is no longer there--- I removed all of those articles when the site changed. I do have them on PDF which shows the original publishing date, but the Google form doesn't allow you to attach anything for proof, they just want to see where it is online. So, I'm screwed this way.  I do contact the thieves... some people are happy to get the page off just because they think they'll get into trouble ... but there's no way to know how much revenue I'd lost or whatever.  I am starting to use the copyscape program now, but again, if the original pieces aren't online anymore (which they're not), then I think I'm sunk.

5. Suzanne Day profile image92
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

DMCA worked for me, but as pointed out, my article was obviously a lot older than the copy and had more authority. It's worth trying, otherwise all that work is for nothing. But Google does take their time, so have patience and it takes a few weeks. Another thing you can do is leave a comment on the offending work, stating "This article was copied from.....(url of yours here)." Then, if lots of people see it, they will lose trust in the copier's site as an original source. I did that on my copied one too, and it made me feel better - but keep it professional or Google might think you are deranged.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)