How to Defeat Dragons in Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Elder Scrolls V Skyrim features dragons that you will either face during the game's main quest or will fight randomly during your travels. They can also be found residing in certain areas of the game and will attack if you are in their area. Dragons can attack at anytime and it can be hard to predict when they will. Sometimes you will see them flying near a mountain, near a city, or other locations in the game. Just because they are flying nearby does not mean they are attacking you, however. If a red enemy marker is marked on your compass, this means they are attacking in the area and are hostile towards you and other creatures/animals.
Dragons are very swift when flying in the air, but will sometimes land to attack you up close. While you can defeat dragons with melee weapons like swords, daggers, axes etc., it is not the best approach. Bows and destruction magic are the recommended way to go because you can keep your distance. A sword in hand is useless when the dragon is flying. At least with a bow you can shoot a dragon when it is flying in the air. However, if you use melee weapon, try and use one that has an enchantment (see video on the page).
Some dragons in Elder Scrolls Skyrim prefer to fight on the ground more. If you are a higher level character, you may run into a Blood Dragon randomly. Blood Dragon's tend to fight on the ground more than other dragons. You probably will not face a Blood Dragon until you are 15+ level in the game, however.
Fighting Dragons in Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Shoot arrows at a dragon while it is flying around and if it lands, back away to avoid it's attacks. You may need to compensate by aiming in front of the dragon whilst it's flying so you do not miss. Buy the Archery Perk that allows you to zoom in with the bow.
- Shoot longer range destruction magic at the dragon and dual cast for more damage. For example, combine fire bolts with fire ball. Note you will do more damage if you upgrade the perks in destruction skill tree.
- Use the shout "Dragonrend" to make the dragon come on the ground so it's easier to attack (unlocked in main quest).Or use the shout "call dragon" so a dragon can help you fight (also unlocked in main quest).
- Hire or get a follower. They will help you defeat a dragon if one attacks. The dragon may also pay less attention to you if they attack the follower.
- Sometimes a dragon will attack other animals/people in the area and may ignore you. Take advantage of this and shoot at the dragon when it is not paying attention to you. Other animals and people can potentially damage the dragon, making it easier for you to kill the dragon.
- Use healing spells with one hand and cast magic with the other hand. This is another way to deal damage to the dragon, while also healing yourself with healing magic. I recommend getting "faster healing" or better because the novice level spells for restoration magic are not that great.
These are just some tips to keep in mind when fighting dragons in Elder Scrolls Skyrim. You can fight dragons at close range too, but it's not the safest way. If fight them at close range, use weapons that are enchanted with magic to deal more damage.
NOTE: This article may be updated with additional information about defeating dragons in Elder Scrolls Skyrim.If you know of any additional ways to defeat dragons, leave a comment below, or share your dragon fighting stories.
Fighting Dragons in Elder Scrollls V: Skyrim
As mentioned, it's best to use bows and destruction magic to defeat dragons. You can keep your distance when using bows/magic while fighting a dragon and will be able to damage them while they are in mid air. If you are using a bow, make sure to equip the best bow, and equip it with the strongest arrows. Use a bow that is enchanted to deal even more damage to the dragon.
When using destruction magic against dragons, use (Dual Casting) if you have it. This allows you to have the same spell in both hands and combine the effects to create an even more powerful spell.
Dragons will land on top of buildings, land on the ground, and will fly around an area. When they are flying, use a bow and try and aim in front of them. If you do not aim in front of them when a dragon is flying, you may miss because the arrow is not fast enough to make contact with the dragon.
Note watch for Dragon's attacks as they can blind you.
More by this Author
Before you can finally face Miraak in the Elder Scrolls Skyrim Dragonborn Quests, you need to solve a book puzzle on the "At the Summit of Apocrypha" Quest. When you read the Waking Dreams book you will be...
The Vampire Lord is a new vampire transformation that is included with the Elder Scrolls Skyrim Dawnguard add-on pack. In order to receive the Vampire Lord transformation, you must join the vampires by accepting Lord...
Over and under shotguns are quite common for clay bird shooting Clay pigeon shooting is quite a fun recreational activity to do with shotguns.For some it may come easy, for others not so easy. It it all depends on the...